Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If there was a rematch between Ali and Foreman...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If there was a rematch between Ali and Foreman...

Do you think Foreman would have won? A few adjustments and Foreman could have beat Ali I think. Also, I don't know much on the history of the two men but why did a rematch never happen?

I also don't remember what the score cards were like going into the 8th round. Box Rec says that Ali was ahead on all cards, is this right? It's been a while since I've seen this fight but I seem to remember thinking Fomeman was just pounding away on him and was winning in my eyes.. I'll have to watch it again.

Anyway, please give me your thoughts on how Foreman would have done in a rematch..

Same result. Foreman would throw all his energy away loadin up big shots lookin for the KO. Ali would conserve his energy and potshot him to death for anotha late rd KO. Foreman woulda fought wit even more fury after losin the first time and might be done in earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
      Same result. Foreman would throw all his energy away loadin up big shots lookin for the KO. Ali would conserve his energy and potshot him to death for anotha late rd KO. Foreman woulda fought wit even more fury after losin the first time and might be done in earlier.
      You don't think Foreman would have realized that, that was his biggest mistake and adjust for it? I think Foreman was smart enough to realize that..

Comment

Originally posted by abosworth View Post
        You don't think Foreman would have realized that, that was his biggest mistake and adjust for it? I think Foreman was smart enough to realize that..
        I don't. Foreman was who he was, He was a come forward slugger, I think Ali would have beat him,

As for the scorecards. A lot of people seem to remember it as Ali being dominated then KOing Foreman where Ali was fighting effectivly the whole fight, He was on the ropes a lot but landed good punches as well, a lot of right leads and combos. I can't remember my score card but I know it was close.

I loved that fight, I might rewatch it in a minute..

Comment

Originally posted by T-97 View Post
          I don't. Foreman was who he was, He was a come forward slugger, I think Ali would have beat him,

As for the scorecards. A lot of people seem to remember it as Ali being dominated then KOing Foreman where Ali was fighting effectivly the whole fight, He was on the ropes a lot but landed good punches as well, a lot of right leads and combos. I can't remember my score card but I know it was close.

I loved that fight, I might rewatch it in a minute..
          Ali was very effective in that fight but it also took a lot out of him! I don't know if he could have gone through that again and by the time they would have fought for a second time, Ali would have been even more past it and suffered even more damage.

You might be right. I've just always liked to believe that Foreman could have won the second fight but it is Muhammad Ali we're talking about here..

Comment

Ali was very effective in that fight but it also took a lot out of him! I don't know if he could have gone through that again and by the time they would have fought for a second time, Ali would have been even more past it and suffered even more damage.

You might be right. I've just always liked to believe that Foreman could have won the second fight but it is Muhammad Ali we're talking about here..
            Foreman could have won the rematch, But Liston could have won his rematch with Ali as well. Ali someone always found a way to do it when his back was to the wall. It's what made him the fighter we know,

Although, I feel he should have retired straight after the win over Spinks and not fought Berbick and Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by T-97 View Post
              Foreman could have won the rematch, But Liston could have won his rematch with Ali as well. Ali someone always found a way to do it when his back was to the wall. It's what made him the fighter we know,

Although, I feel he should have retired straight after the win over Spinks and not fought Berbick and Holmes
              Yeah, I know but that was when Ali was still young and in his prime. I think he was slightly past it when he fought Foreman the first time and would have been even more so in a rematch.

I agree, he shouldn't have fought Berbick nor Holmes. I also agree that Ali always found a way to overcome obstacles in the ring. He won when everyone thought he would lose time and time again.

What an amazing fighter he was!!

Comment

I don't remember the scorecards either, but as T said Ali was fighting effectively all night. The first round saw Ali dancing as expected landing some crisp right hands. Foreman was extremely effective in cutting off the ring so Ali changed his tactics accordingly and invented the rope-a-dope.

Ali was brilliant fighting off the ropes. If you watch the fight again notice those fantastic combos Ali throws to finish off the 3. and 5. rounds. Sheer artistry (spelling).

As for a second fight I pretty much agree with T. The pattern of the fight is set before the first bell. Ali would be on the ropes. Foreman would try to get the KO. Maybe Foreman would get it. At least he should be able to pace himself a little better so as he might last a few more rounds.

Comment

Thanks for your opinions Bat and T-97! It's just something we'll never know and can only speculate on.

now, Knep dig selv!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I know but that was when Ali was still young and in his prime. I think he was slightly past it when he fought Foreman the first time and would have been even more so in a rematch.

I agree, he shouldn't have fought Berbick nor Holmes. I also agree that Ali always found a way to overcome obstacles in the ring. He won when everyone thought he would lose time and time again.

What an amazing fighter he was!!
                    I made an Ali apreciation thread ages ago, I think in NSB though

Originally posted by BatTheMan View Post
                    I don't remember the scorecards either, but as T said Ali was fighting effectively all night. The first round saw Ali dancing as expected landing some crisp right hands. Foreman was extremely effective in cutting off the ring so Ali changed his tactics accordingly and invented the rope-a-dope.

Ali was brilliant fighting off the ropes. If you watch the fight again notice those fantastic combos Ali throws to finish off the 3. and 5. rounds. Sheer artistry (spelling).

As for a second fight I pretty much agree with T. The pattern of the fight is set before the first bell. Ali would be on the ropes. Foreman would try to get the KO. Maybe Foreman would get it. At least he should be able to pace himself a little better so as he might last a few more rounds.
                    Yea, Ali fought incredibly from the ropes, He used the right hand lead fantastically that night. He literally fought a perfect fight. I watched Foreman-Frazier 2 the other day, That just re enforced how great that win was for Ali to me.

Thanks for your opinions Bat and T-97! It's just something we'll never know and can only speculate on.

now, Knep dig selv!!!!
                    You first

Comment

Working...
                    X