X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
    Ok.

If you took Dempsey out the 20's and put him alongside Mike Tyson in the 80's he would benefit in many ways. He would most likely be bigger, stronger and faster because of the advancements in the nutritional, training and medicinal areas but he would also have the benefit of the advancements in boxing technique and training.

If you took Mike Tyson out of the 80's and placed him within the 20's all that he had, as far as the aforementioned areas would be stripped away and he would be a basic straight ahead brawler like Dempsey.

It's one of the pitfalls of comparing different eras. The newer fighters have advancements and advantages not afforded the older guys, yet you can't just dismiss the older guys on the order of ," Tyson was bigger and stronger and faster and more technical " because that is totally unfair.

Sure Tyson is bigger and stronger and technically better, but there is a reason for that. All newer fighters are going to be bigger and stronger and more technically sound because of all the conceptual differences in the areas mentioned.
    Cor Blimey Guv! I go away for a few days and end up missing out on all the fun. Just been reading through the replies, some great reading.

I have to say I totally agree with Hawk and Poet in the confusion that goes on when trying to compare fighters of different eras.

Guys IMO you were spot on. Had Dempsey grown up in todays era he would have been bigger,stronger,faster and much better technically and vice versa with Tyson had he grown up in Dempsey's era. Yes Tyson would have probably still been champion but he wouldn't have been as big or strong or as technical. He would have been a devasting but crude come forward brawler much like Dempsey.

Hawk you thought more about that consensus you mentioned and who you want to include. I'm still up for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
      Cor Blimey Guv! I go away for a few days and end up missing out on all the fun. Just been reading through the replies, some great reading.

I have to say I totally agree with Hawk and Poet in the confusion that goes on when trying to compare fighters of different eras.

Guys IMO you were spot on. Had Dempsey grown up in todays era he would have been bigger,stronger,faster and much better technically and vice versa with Tyson had he grown up in Dempsey's era. Yes Tyson would have probably still been champion but he wouldn't have been as big or strong or as technical. He would have been a devasting but crude come forward brawler much like Dempsey.

I think its one of the major tripping points, at least on this forum, that I've seen. Alot of posters mistakenly think that you're disrespecting a certain fighter when making comparisons. I make a comparison I try to do it as even up as my aging mind will make it LOL so that it is based on skill alone.

It's hard to do, I admit. But if you have studied alot of fight films and have a decent enough grasp of styles it's easier to play out IMO.

Originally posted by hurricane72
      Hawk you thought more about that consensus you mentioned and who you want to include. I'm still up for it.
      Yea, I have. I've taken another week from work to take care of my wife's business so can recover from the difficult birth of our son, they are going to her mom's Thursday so I'll have time to put something together then.

Comment

Well I think thats what most of us were saying.
        But are today's basketball players better than Michael Jordan?

Comment

• Originally posted by gavinz1970 View Post
          But are today's basketball players better than Michael Jordan?
          Are any of todays fighters better than Ray Robinson? Works both ways when dealing with once in a lifetime prodigies.

Comment

Are any of todays fighters better than Ray Robinson? Works both ways when dealing with once in a lifetime prodigies.

Just think how much better Robinson would be if he did box in todays day and age. It would be hard to tell because he was so Great.

Comment

• Originally posted by hhascup View Post
              Just think how much better Robinson would be if he did box in todays day and age. It would be hard to tell because he was so Great.
              It don't bear thinking about does it. As good as PBF is he would be nothing compared to the greatest ever P4P. Think how much money he would have made in today's era.

Comment

• I agree that Robinson could be a force to recon with using today's routines, but I still doubt how far Dempsy would get in this age. There are a lot of guys that tried to be aggressive and failed, I beg to differ between Dempsey and peter Mcneely.

Be realistic, cause that's how I see it.
                Natural muscle is way more effective then "created muscle" Look at foreman and Tyson, both around 200 lbs at the age of 16. (well Tyson was actually 215, don't know about Foreman)

Sure Dempsey could pack on a few lbs, but It's no guarantee he would be a dominating force. You also need to take into consideration the thin gloves Dempsey used, it was pretty much a bare knuckle brawl.

Comment

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                  I agree that Robinson could be a force to recon with using today's routines, but I still doubt how far Dempsy would get in this age. There are a lot of guys that tried to be aggressive and failed, I beg to differ between Dempsey and peter Mcneely.

Natural muscle is way more effective then "created muscle" Look at foreman and Tyson, both around 200 lbs at the age of 16. (well Tyson was actually 215, don't know about Foreman)

Sure Dempsey could pack on a few lbs, but It's no guarantee he would be a dominating force. You also need to take into consideration the thin gloves Dempsey used, it was pretty much a bare knuckle brawl.
                  Good point about the smaller gloves. I think they should go back to using lighter gloves. More kayos and safer I think because there is less pounding on the brain.

Just think if J.C.Chavez had used gloves a lot lighter maybe he would have kayoed Taylor a lot earlier and done less damage.

Comment

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    I agree that Robinson could be a force to recon with using today's routines, but I still doubt how far Dempsy would get in this age. There are a lot of guys that tried to be aggressive and failed, I beg to differ between Dempsey and peter Mcneely.

On the flip side put some of today's fighters in earlier eras. Would they be as good without the advancements in everything? Would they be as good if they had to rely on the training and techniques of the time? It works on both ends of the spectrum.

Comment

• On the flip side put some of today's fighters in earlier eras. Would they be as good without the advancements in everything? Would they be as good if they had to rely on the training and techniques of the time? It works on both ends of the spectrum.
                      Yea I agree, Klitchko would probably suck and run out of steam.

Foreman would still be dominating, as would Tyson.

etc etc..

Once again I do agree that Robinson (speedy style fighter's) would probably hold a great chance in the division, It's guy's like Marciano and Dempsey that I can't see dominating.

Comment

Working...
                      X