Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see were you are comming from. I got confused, i thought u were saying thats why he is a better champion. I dont rate them on who would beat who because of that reason! lol got crossed wired. I think Hawkins may have meant that tho

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
      I see were you are comming from. I got confused, i thought u were saying thats why he is a better champion. I dont rate them on who would beat who because of that reason! lol got crossed wired. I think Hawkins may have meant that tho
      Naw, Hawkins is pretty much on the same page as me. He just has more patience then I and less vile a temper LOL!

Poet

Comment

• Ahh rite. K well i definatly agree with what your saying then. I was saying it doenst make one fighter greater than the other because of that!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
          Ahh rite. K well i definatly agree with what your saying then. I was saying it doenst make one fighter greater than the other because of that!
          Exactly! I run into people who try to all the time though: Wlad or Lennox ect. is the best ever because they're so much BIGGER than previous champions. It gets old after a while LOL!

Poet

Comment

• I'm respectful to all fighters. You will never see me running down any fighter - I'll never say anyone sucks because they automatically have my respect for stepping in the ring.

However its the disrespect of other fans towards fighters that gets me, especially the disrespect by alot of the younger guys shown towards the older guys.

Its easier to compare them based on accomplishments and things done inside their respective eras ; and quite possibly thats the only correct way to rate fighters of different eras - based on accomplishments because you can't fairly compare them head to head unless you do it based on skill alone.

Comment

• Naw, Hawkins is pretty much on the same page as me. He just has more patience then I and less vile a temper LOL!

Poet
              in Other words he's not an ******* who flames other peoples opinions like you, poet (know you can't read this)

Older guys disrespect newer fighter's more than young guys disrespect the old.
              Last edited by them_apples; 10-28-2007, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Size does make a difference, BUT it's not the only thing.

If your going to rate them as to who had a better career, meaning who fought and beat the better opponents, who had the better record, etc., or do you rate them by who can beat who.

Example: IMO Rocky Marciano had a better career then Tyson, BUT if they fought, my money would be on Tyson.

I also agree when you say that the old timers would benefit if they fought later on. Everyone learns from the past, and boxing is no different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brassangel View Post
                  The fighters from the 70's who you are referring to that got "tired to the point of collapse" only ever got that way because they fought fights (and entire careers, for that matter) against an extremely tough heavyweight division full of fighters with high work rates, toughness, and longevity. Foreman is an exception, and he usually got tired after 7 rounds. This is understandable, however, because his arms were quite simply heavy, and throwing that hard for that long, while it should kill his opponent, would probably get tiring for him.

Holmes and Ali, before they got old, looked pretty good by the fight's end; both have 15th round KO's against good opponents. The fighters of the 80's didn't have to worry about 15 round fights anymore, so of course they didn't look as tired.

Frazier exerted more effort in one round than a lot of guys did in 4 or 5, yet he still brought the kitchen sink in the 15th.

The greats only got tired at the end because they were fighting another great, and working hard enough to warrant exhaustion.

It should also be noted that Louis didn't fight "tomato cans", he fought whoever was there and at the top. He made them look bad because he was that far ahead of the game. Tomato cans are the guys that George Foreman used to pad his record during both parts of his career. Even so, he still beat good opponents when the time came. Perhaps the bums are only truly as such when put up against great fighters. I think that the term "tomato cans" is used too liberally, given the people they lost to.

As a side note: Shavers has a far more impressive resume (ie: Ali, Holmes x2, Norton, Ellis, Young, etc.), and more power than does Tua, and Shavers would never make a top 20, let alone a top 10.

Shavers was KO'd in rd 1 by Jerry Quarry though, and Tua has never been stopped, his three losses to Lennox Lewis, a young Chris Byrd and Ike Ibeabuchi (whose stupidity in landing himself in prison stopped his perfect record) all decisions. That being said, I don't agree with his list at all.

Comment

• It's like muscle cars, everyone likes to believe they were the fastest cars, but when you pit them up against a bimmer or gtr they lose.

things don't get worse with time, they improve.

Comment

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                      It's like muscle cars, everyone likes to believe they were the fastest cars, but when you pit them up against a bimmer or gtr they lose.

things don't get worse with time, they improve.
                      Well I think thats what most of us were saying.

Comment

Working...
                      X