This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wiley Hyena View Post
    Dempsey had over 100 exhibition bouts. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I remember a stat that said Dempsey went over 70 fights before losing. If true, then that is absolutely incredible. Maybe you have some clarifying information.
    You might be talking about after the 2nd Tunney bout, Dempsey went on tour and fought exhibition bouts on a regular basis for the next several years, AND yes he did KO a lot of them in the 1st round, BUT again, they were exhibition bouts.

Comment

• Just wondering where everyone gets their information on concerning the records of pro fighters is boxing rec the most accurate. Because with the old-timers there are lots of discrepencies every book or site I look at they are very different.

Comment

• Some of the worst from more recent times have to be Rahman, Corrie Sanders, Frank Bruno, Oliver Mccall and dont forget Bruce Seldom

Comment

• Originally posted by lyrical View Post
          Some of the worst from more recent times have to be Rahman, Corrie Sanders, Frank Bruno, Oliver Mccall and dont forget Bruce Seldom
          Top 10 Worst Heavyweight Champions of all-time
          1> Franceso Damiani
          2> Corrie Sanders
          3> Chris Byrd
          4> Michael Bent
          5> Nickolay Valuev
          6> Lamon Brewster
          7> Frans Botha
          8> Greg Page
          9> John Tate
          10>Henry Akinwande

But as case could be made for Bruce Seldon, some of the others you mention while certainly not greats they had some ability and I think there was a lot worse.
          There were a few others I toyed with including Primo Carnera,John Ruiz and some others who's names escape me at the moment. Maybe I'll look into it a bit more and see who they fought and beat and revise my list at a later date.

Comment

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
            1> Franceso Damiani
            2> Corrie Sanders
            3> Chris Byrd
            4> Michael Bent
            5> Nickolay Valuev
            6> Lamon Brewster
            7> Frans Botha
            8> Greg Page
            9> John Tate
            10>Henry Akinwande

But as case could be made for Bruce Seldon, some of the others you mention while certainly not greats they had some ability and I think there was a lot worse.
            There were a few others I toyed with including Primo Carnera,John Ruiz and some others who's names escape me at the moment. Maybe I'll look into it a bit more and see who they fought and beat and revise my list at a later date.
            Worst Champions is Kinda Oxymoronic though.. I mean these guys DID win the prize.. So they must have something going for them..

I wont disagree with you though.. Most of the Guys you mention were not QUEALITY champs in ANY ERA...

I will make a case to Get the backs of Corrie Sanders and Chris Byrd though...

Sanders allthough not ever a REAL champ.. Was an explosive and Powerful Puncher with deceptively long arms.. He could sneak That Southpaw left in like it was magic..And I imagine he could give Any heavy from any era a Good nights Fight..

Chris Byrd.. has an Awesome Chin.. and is as Slippery as a Heavyweight can be.. Boring?.. YES!!!! featherfisted?? Yes!!!.. But again.. Unless your last name is Klitschko..A pretty tough night for any fighter

Comment

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
              1> Franceso Damiani
              2> Corrie Sanders
              3> Chris Byrd
              4> Michael Bent
              5> Nickolay Valuev
              6> Lamon Brewster
              7> Frans Botha
              8> Greg Page
              9> John Tate
              10>Henry Akinwande

oh man how did i forget the quiet man John Ruiz lol he gotta be top 10 worst.

Comment

• 1. Joe Louis
                2. Muhammed Ali
                3. Jack Dempsey
                4. James J. Braddock
                5. Gene Tunney
                6. Rocky Marciano
                7. Lennox Lewis
                8. Joe Frazier
                9. George Foreman
                10. Jack Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
                  Worst Champions is Kinda Oxymoronic though.. I mean these guys DID win the prize.. So they must have something going for them..

I wont disagree with you though.. Most of the Guys you mention were not QUEALITY champs in ANY ERA...

I will make a case to Get the backs of Corrie Sanders and Chris Byrd though...

Sanders allthough not ever a REAL champ.. Was an explosive and Powerful Puncher with deceptively long arms.. He could sneak That Southpaw left in like it was magic..And I imagine he could give Any heavy from any era a Good nights Fight..

Chris Byrd.. has an Awesome Chin.. and is as Slippery as a Heavyweight can be.. Boring?.. YES!!!! featherfisted?? Yes!!!.. But again.. Unless your last name is Klitschko..A pretty tough night for any fighter
                  Think you're right I was a bit harsh on Corrie Sanders as he could probably beat most if not all on that list. Same goes for Chris Byrd but I haven't seen a great deal of him. I made this list months ago off the top of my head and given a little reserch my list would be different.

I still stick by Francesco Damiani as being the worst though.

It makes me laugh though when I look at that list and think they all won a piece of the greatest prize in sport. How would Earnie Shavers,Ron Lyle,Sam Langford or some other good fighters have faired against this lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toddy View Post
                    1. Joe Louis
                    2. Muhammed Ali
                    3. Jack Dempsey
                    4. James J. Braddock
                    5. Gene Tunney
                    6. Rocky Marciano
                    7. Lennox Lewis
                    8. Joe Frazier
                    9. George Foreman
                    10. Jack Johnson
                    Good list but different. Personally Gene Tunney goes into the light heavyweights for me, but saying that a greatly underated fighter who beat Dempsey twice at heavyweight. Don't think I've ever seen James J. Braddock on anyones top10 and certainly not that high. Just curious as to your reasons for this also Tunney and Dempsey. Not slagging you off just want to know how you compile your list which makes it easier for me to understand your placements. Is it overall ability and who would beat who or achievments and impact or what.

Comment

• Originally posted by lyrical View Post
                      oh man how did i forget the quiet man John Ruiz lol he gotta be top 10 worst.
                      He was bad but not as bad as Damiani or even Bent. Herbie Hide knocked out Bent in 2 rounds. I'm sure Ruiz could have beat a few on that list.

Comment

Working...
                      X