This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
    I prefer the 15 rounds format myself they say it's for safety reasons and that's an advancement but I'm not so sure.

They say the gloves is for safety reasons and is an advancement but I disagree. More padding less knockouts and more pounding of the brain.

Just thought that's something we (well I, can't speak for anyone else) never think of when talking about power and who hit the hardest.

4 World title belts - Someone please sort this out and have one organization

Steroids must go on but I'm sure fighters get tested. Wonder if any of the champs fought using them.

Just thought Mike Tyson was like a caged tiger and went bonkers later in his career he must have been on the roids (Joke)

Longer careers would be great and less protection and less emphasis on being unbeaten
    Agreed.

Plus I think the reason the older guys were seemingly good for a longer period of time was that most of them were technically superior and far more experienced than 90% of the fighters today thus offsetting the physical decline.

Comment

• you can tell when someone uses roids (the ripped stretched look), fighter's lift weights these days, weight lifting was neglected back in the day as the common thought was muscle slows you down.

Tyson was not on roids when he was younger, he was just a big kid. However when he came out of prison, he was bigger and more ripped AND possessed a wicked temper. So my common thought is he started taking roids in prison.

most fighters from the 70's and up started lifting weights, this could be one of the reasons why they started getting bigger.

Comment

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        you can tell when someone uses roids (the ripped stretched look), fighter's lift weights these days, weight lifting was neglected back in the day as the common thought was muscle slows you down.

Tyson was not on roids when he was younger, he was just a big kid. However when he came out of prison, he was bigger and more ripped AND possessed a wicked temper. So my common thought is he started taking roids in prison.

most fighters from the 70's and up started lifting weights, this could be one of the reasons why they started getting bigger.
        I was only joking when I mentioned it. But it had crossed my mind.
        It wouldn't surprise me as Tyson was very easily led and has just been done for possesing recreational drugs.

He was different a different person when he came out of prison but you would be even if you hadn't used roids.
        What if he was actually innocent and been ****** up for all that time you would have a chip on your shoulder as well.

Comment

• Originally Posted by them_apples
          everyone rips on Tyson because of his popularity, they think they are being the devils advocate....but it's leading to him getting almost no recognition at all..hell I've even seen a bowe ranked above Tyson.

It's also a good Idea to look at peoples avatars, if they have "2 ton tony galento" or "max Baer" for example, they are probably still living in the black and white era and won't acknowledge anything past 1970's a la "poet"

Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
          He get's a lot of recognition from me but I don't distort it that's all.
          You seem to base your thoughts and opinions on who would beat who which is your perogative. But you don't give the old time fighters any recognition yourself. You always come up with the same point that today's fighters are fitter,stronger,bigger and better skilled and the old timers would get blown away. Which to a certain extent is true. But the majority of us take into account overall ability for the time they boxed in, their impact and also what they achieved. Just because someone has for instance Marciano ranked above Lewis (Which I don't by the way) you start saying that is ****** and Marciano could never have beaten Lewis and that particular person must be old and stuck in the dark ages which isn't true. Your seem to me to be very young and are misunderstanding what everyone is trying to do here.
          Won't acknowledge anything past the 70s? That's based, I'm assuming, on the fact Tyson and Lewis aren't on my list. But oh look! At number 7 on my list! A fighter past the 1970s! Evander Holyfield! Oh, I forgot, these guys hate Holyfield so he doesn't count. Just like Douglas beating Tyson "doesn't count". Just like Lewis winning a gift decision in the second Holyfield, they prefer to see only the gift draw Holyfield got in the first fight. Oh, and Tyson only lost to Holyfield because of headbutts. Right People like LRR and Apples only see what they want to see and disregard the rest. (Can you identify the song that takes liberties with?) They also have VERY selective memories. BTW, since it was brought up, it isn't a good idea for fighters to lift weights because it kills their reflexes: Something much more important to a fighter then strength.

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            Originally Posted by them_apples
            everyone rips on Tyson because of his popularity, they think they are being the devils advocate....but it's leading to him getting almost no recognition at all..hell I've even seen a bowe ranked above Tyson.

It's also a good Idea to look at peoples avatars, if they have "2 ton tony galento" or "max Baer" for example, they are probably still living in the black and white era and won't acknowledge anything past 1970's a la "poet"

Won't acknowledge anything past the 70s? That's based, I'm assuming, on the fact Tyson and Lewis aren't on my list. But oh look! At number 7 on my list! A fighter past the 1970s! Evander Holyfield! Oh, I forgot, these guys hate Holyfield so he doesn't count. Just like Douglas beating Tyson "doesn't count". Just like Lewis winning a gift decision in the second Holyfield, they prefer to see only the gift draw Holyfield got in the first fight. Oh, and Tyson only lost to Holyfield because of headbutts. Right People like LRR and Apples only see what they want to see and disregard the rest. (Can you identify the song that takes liberties with?) They also have VERY selective memories. BTW, since it was brought up, it isn't a good idea for fighters to lift weights because it kills their reflexes: Something much more important to a fighter then strength.

Poet
            The lifting weights issue was Bruno's biggest downfall. Very competent boxer who gave Lewis problems and is probably the only boxer to ever out box Lewis before getting tired. Bruno had a very good chin. Had he not lifted the weights he would of been a lot faster of hand and foot and had more stamina while still maintaining his awesome power. What a wated talent had the tools lets say but not the brains to change his regime when everyone else could clearly see what he was doing wrong.

Comment

• 1st off.. with ANYTHING in life... I am not concerned with the past.. SO in that vein.. My list will be relavent to my personal time frame..

I understand that Joe Louis was considered a great Champ.. As was Marciano..However All I have seen is some grainy Black and White Footage which seems to be choppy and too fast... Some Photographs.. and The word of people who most are long since dead... History has a way of romanticsing the past.. And non events can be turned into Mountains over time...

I would go with WHAT I have seen...

SO My list would bascially not cover any boxers before the 1960's

If people can Handle that Then I will gladly make a list...

But I dont feel like hearing Where's Louis??? When I dont really ****ing care where he is.. He is a Ghost from another time long since dead..Things change..

So again if people can handle that I will make a list..

Comment

• Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
                1st off.. with ANYTHING in life... I am not concerned with the past.. SO in that vein.. My list will be relavent to my personal time frame..

I understand that Joe Louis was considered a great Champ.. As was Marciano..However All I have seen is some grainy Black and White Footage which seems to be choppy and too fast... Some Photographs.. and The word of people who most are long since dead... History has a way of romanticsing the past.. And non events can be turned into Mountains over time...

But I dont feel like hearing Where's Louis??? When I dont really ****ing care where he is.. He is a Ghost from another time long since dead..Things change..

Welter - I can handle it, that's your opinion and that's fine. Look forward to seeing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
                  1st off.. with ANYTHING in life... I am not concerned with the past.. SO in that vein.. My list will be relavent to my personal time frame..

Well Welter, you know I'm going to respect your views. As long as you don't down anyone who DOES have fighters from before 1960 nobody ought to have an issue I should think.

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post

Poet

I think the overlying aspect is that most people who follow can't respect the fact that a majority of fans do not place Tyson & Lewis in their Top 10 lists because they don't think they belong based on their accomplishments. I try to look at facts when I do a list, granted some of it is subjective, but not everyone will be open minded enough to listen to differing opinions on the career of a fighter that they favor.

As for the old school fighters. Personally, it's my preference. It's not that I don't enjoy modern boxing because I do. I just think the older fighters have a little more depth and are far more interesting to me. I truly think older fighters were more well rounded. They were far more experienced. They were more technically sound and they weren't afraid to take on another star because they knew losing was part of the game.

Todays promoters and fight managers think they have to protect a fighters undefeated record or the public won't buy into them which is utter crap. I think a fighters entire body of work should define him, not the fact he may have lost a couple fights.

Comment

• This is my list based on what I read, footage I have seen and my personal opinion.

1. Joe Louis - He held the title for over 11 years, recording 25 successful defenses of the title, complete fighter.

2. Muhammed Ali - three-time World Heavyweight Champion and winner of an Olympic Light-heavyweight gold medal, transcended the sport.

3. Lennox Lewis - three-time World Heavyweight Champion and winner of an Olympic Heavyweight gold medal. Avenged his two defeats and dominated his era.

4. Larry Holmes - Great boxer, won his first 48 bouts before losing to Spinks when he was almost 36 years of age, great champion.

5. Evander Holyfield - Warrior, multiple world champion in both the cruiser weight and heavyweight divisions.

6. Rocky Marciano - Only undefeated Heavyweight World Champion.

7. George Foreman - Powerhouse, limited ability but made successful comeback.

8. Mike Tyson - Youngest ever Heavyweight Champion at 20, dominated for about 5 years.

9. Jack Dempsey - Was a tremendous puncher famous for his exciting fights, many of which set financial and attendance records. Six year reign when there was only one belt.

10 . Floyd Patterson -Winner of an Olympic Middleweight gold medal before becoming the youngest Heavyweight Champion up to that date at 21. Very small compared by today's standards usually way under 200lbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X