Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey came from another world and the fighters from his era. Dempsey would ride the rails the whole day just to get to a fight in order to buy some food. He'd also fight without no sleep or food in the tank. You could hit Dempsey over the head with a sledgie for a few bob and he wouldn't care! He needed to survive any way possible. Dempsey would be laughing at today's fighters who carbo-load and eat 5 course meals and drink their protein shakes before they fight!

Comment

• Originally posted by sleepingtime View Post
      Jack Dempsey came from another world and the fighters from his era. Dempsey would ride the rails the whole day just to get to a fight in order to buy some food. He'd also fight without no sleep or food in the tank. You could hit Dempsey over the head with a sledgie for a few bob and he wouldn't care! He needed to survive any way possible. Dempsey would be laughing at today's fighters who carbo-load and eat 5 course meals and drink their protein shakes before they fight!
      Yes Dempsey was a tough old nut, but if he came into the ring with no sleep or food against the modern fighters they would take him apart. He wouldn't last 6 rounds. Also today's fighters because they are bigger and stronger and better prepared could hit a lot harder. I'm sure if Firpo could knock Dempsey clean out the ring and Tunney could completely outbox him then Tyson or Frazier would have no trouble against Dempsey and Ali,Louis or Lewis and Holmes would have no trouble outboxing him

Comment

• Greatest heavyweights of all time.

#1 Mitch 'Blood' Green

#2 Tommy Morrison

#3 Butterbean

#4 Lou Savarese

#5 Cliff Couser

#6 Tony Booth

#7 Michael Spinks

#8 John Ruiz

#9 Rocky Marciano

#10 Mike Tyson

#11 Muhammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by QuCongee View Post
          Greatest heavyweights of all time.

#1 Mitch 'Blood' Green

#2 Tommy Morrison

#3 Butterbean

#4 Lou Savarese

#5 Cliff Couser

#6 Tony Booth

#7 Michael Spinks

#8 John Ruiz

#9 Rocky Marciano

#10 Mike Tyson

#11 Muhammad Ali
          Not a bad list, but think you misread the title of the thread. It's Top10 greatest Heavies, which is based upon ability and accomplishments.

Not on which ones **** you would like to suck:*******:

Comment

• Most of those have never fought for a heavyweight title let alone held one!

Comment

• it was a JOOOOOOOKE

holy **** lol

Comment

• Originally posted by QuCongee View Post
                it was a JOOOOOOOKE

holy **** lol
                So was my reply! Now we have both had our fun, let's be serious.
                Give me your top10 and we can discuss it, what I think of yours and you think of mine. (list of heavies that is)

Comment

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
                  So was my reply! Now we have both had our fun, let's be serious.
                  Give me your top10 and we can discuss it, what I think of yours and you think of mine. (list of heavies that is)

#1 Muhammad Ali
                  #2 Mike Tyson
                  #3 Joe Louis
                  #4 Rocky Marciano
                  #5 Larry Holmes
                  #6 Lennox Lewis
                  #7 George Foreman
                  #8 Jack Johnson
                  #9 Sonny Liston
                  #10 Jack Dempsey

WHAT!?! Mike Tyson #2!?!

You're God Damn Right

Comment

• Well, so far nearly everybody has had pretty much the same 10 guys, just in different order. The real fun part is determining what takes some guys like from 9th on one list to 3rd on others. Personal preference? Head-to head matchups? Really, those are both categories that say a lot less about the true placement of the champion. Especially since it's actually impossible to accurately determine what would happen if Joe Louis fought George Foreman, or Lennox Lewis fought Joe Frazier, or Mike Tyson fought Jack Dempsey, etc.

I have to ask you QuCongee, why is Tyson your #2? I also agree with your lower placement of Sonny Liston and George Foreman, who really didn't do anything as champion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brassangel View Post
                      I have to ask you QuCongee, why is Tyson your #2?
                      I know..

I just can't help but feel that in his prime, Tyson would blast half the guys on that list, no problem. I understand it's a controversial pick but..

Tyson vs Marciano? Little Rocky Marciano? Cmon, over in 2 rounds.

A 21 year old Mike Tyson vs Lennox Lewis? Over in about 45 seconds.

I know I'll probably hear it for this but it's what my heart and brain are both telling me.

Not to mention his accomplishments in general.

Originally posted by Brassangel View Post
                      I also agree with your lower placement of Sonny Liston and George Foreman, who really didn't do anything as champion.
                      Yeah, he does make my list though because of his phenominal comeback. (Foreman that is)
                      Last edited by QuCongee; 10-05-2007, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X