This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Are these names in order of your rankings or just who you would have at these particular splits?
    Just who I have, if that was my list I would hope you guys would ask me to leave the forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      Just who I have, if that was my list I would hope you guys would ask me to leave the forum.

Lol, I was going to say that that really didn't sound like you, but I had to check!

Comment

• Hand speed Ratings-- Out of 10 stars

Up To 200lbs--Hand speed rankings
        DEMPSEY ---7 and a half ---------------CHARLES---8 and a half--------------Walcott----8--------------MOORE----8------------Patterson----9---------------TUNNEY----9-------------MARCIANO----5-----------------LANGFORD----7------------Fitzsimmons----7-------------DARCY----8----------------SHARKEY----5 and a half------------SCHMELING----6--------------BURNS----7----------------CORBETT----7 and a half-----------HOLYFIELD (if he qualifies)-----------------CONN----9 and a half--------------------
        How did I go Barnburner ??
        Last edited by McGoorty; 08-14-2011, 04:01 AM.

Comment

• when I talk about such a list, I talk about greatness.

it seems Jack Johnson is getting his due respect, at his age he wasnt.
          nowadays Mike Tyson gets lotta critic as well as Rocky. is that fair?

well, heres my:

1. Ali
          2.Louis
          3.Johnson
          4.Dempsey
          5.Jeffries
          6.Rocky
          7.Liston
          8.Foreman
          9.Smokin Joe
          10.Tyson
          Tunney
          Holmes
          Holyfield
          walcott
          Petterson
          Ezzard
          Schmeling
          Lennox

Comment

• Originally posted by Spit Venom View Post
            when I talk about such a list, I talk about greatness.

it seems Jack Johnson is getting his due respect, at his age he wasnt.
            nowadays Mike Tyson gets lotta critic as well as Rocky. is that fair?

well, heres my:

1. Ali
            2.Louis
            3.Johnson
            4.Dempsey
            5.Jeffries
            6.Rocky
            7.Liston
            8.Foreman
            9.Smokin Joe
            10.Tyson
            Tunney
            Holmes
            Holyfield
            walcott
            Petterson
            Ezzard
            Schmeling
            Lennox
            Walcott over Charles? whaaat?

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
              Walcott over Charles? whaaat?
              what what?

havent rank them, but charles and joes body of work at HW is noteable also
              could add moore.

jes problem?

Comment

• How is Jack Johnson not better then Joe Louis? Im a big Louis fan but i just watched a documentary on johnson and i honestly think he woulda destroyed Louis. Johnson should also be ahead of Dempsey. He was 37 when he lost to Jess Willard, before that it sounds like he was close to untouchable, but the interpretations of some of the fights back then seem very unclear...most likely because of the racism that existed in the world back then.

It seems like most of yall put louis ahead of johnson because he fought some fighters that were probably better then the competition johnson had, and they were alot more well known. But I think a prime Jack Johnson woulda beat Louis and anybody he ever fought

Comment

• Originally posted by Floyd Sinclair View Post
                  How is Jack Johnson not better then Joe Louis? Im a big Louis fan but i just watched a documentary on johnson and i honestly think he woulda destroyed Louis. Johnson should also be ahead of Dempsey. He was 37 when he lost to Jess Willard, before that it sounds like he was close to untouchable, but the interpretations of some of the fights back then seem very unclear...most likely because of the racism that existed in the world back then.

It seems like most of yall put louis ahead of johnson because he fought some fighters that were probably better then the competition johnson had, and they were alot more well known. But I think a prime Jack Johnson woulda beat Louis and anybody he ever fought

You're rating on fantasy h2h match ups instead of actual proven facts. Johnson was great, I believe I have him third or fourth all time. But Louis beat better fighters while never losing to fighters as inferior as Johnson lost to. Add in the 25 consecutive defenses and the fact the Johnson ducked Langford when Sam was clearly his most dangerous challenger and I don't think there should even be a debate as to who was greater heavyweight. Of course this is all just my opinion.

Comment

• ^^ thats respectable

The only thing you can really do with any comparison is go by the proven facts. Its just that what i have seen of jack johnson i believe that he woulda beat joe louis and everyone joe fought. When he was at his very best, he was very hard to hit because of the way he tied up his opponents so much and his movement. I've watched alotta old school legends like willie pep, sugar ray, louis, dempsey, etc. They all impressed me alot, i got ray robinson at #1 all time, but as far as heavyweights go i was amazed by jack johnson. Its too bad he didnt come around a little later, Id love to watch him fight louis, schmeling, baer, conn, walcott, etc. But the fact that i just named 5 real good heavyweights from that era and left out a few names says something about Louis's era. Im gonna have to put more thought into this and look for more jack johnson footage

Comment

• Originally posted by Floyd Sinclair View Post
                      ^^ thats respectable

The only thing you can really do with any comparison is go by the proven facts. Its just that what i have seen of jack johnson i believe that he woulda beat joe louis and everyone joe fought. When he was at his very best, he was very hard to hit because of the way he tied up his opponents so much and his movement. I've watched alotta old school legends like willie pep, sugar ray, louis, dempsey, etc. They all impressed me alot, i got ray robinson at #1 all time, but as far as heavyweights go i was amazed by jack johnson. Its too bad he didnt come around a little later, Id love to watch him fight louis, schmeling, baer, conn, walcott, etc. But the fact that i just named 5 real good heavyweights from that era and left out a few names says something about Louis's era. Im gonna have to put more thought into this and look for more jack johnson footage
                      This isn't the right thread for it, but while we're on the subject....what are your thoughts of Greb or Langford rating higher than Robinson p4p? I wouldn't belittle anyone with Ray at #1, but in the last 18-24 months I've done quite a bit of reading and research and have elevated both ahead of Robby.

Comment

Working...
                      X