This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    Also when doing this we need to go by prime weight as Prime Holmes was about 220 but, he went all the way up to around 240.

Or we can do 3 categories
    <200
    200><230
    230>
    Yeah, that would be good that way, it's a lot to take in but that way we get all the main guys, I may need your help about their prime weights. I also think that the matchups are far more realistic with the three weight categories. I did forget Schmeling and Patterson and left out Aechie Moore as I consider him wasted at HW but having a UP TO 200 will bring him into the mix by widening the Cruiserweights, wow what a division, Langford, Burns, Fitz and dare I say lt, Daaarrr-SEA even. I ALSO Make you welcome into the MAFIA,... just allow me to be "The Don",... (no not Bradman).

Comment

• Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      Yeah, that would be good that way, it's a lot to take in but that way we get all the main guys, I may need your help about their prime weights. I also think that the matchups are far more realistic with the three weight categories. I did forget Schmeling and Patterson and left out Aechie Moore as I consider him wasted at HW but having a UP TO 200 will bring him into the mix by widening the Cruiserweights, wow what a division, Langford, Burns, Fitz and dare I say lt, Daaarrr-SEA even. I ALSO Make you welcome into the MAFIA,... just allow me to be "The Don",... (no not Bradman).
      I'm happy to help in anyway possible.

So a set of ground rules.

- The fighters must have fought at Heavyweight before.
      - We're going by prime weights and will put them into 3 categories.
      - There must be footage of the fighters we are evaluating.

How are we going to do this list? Accomplishments and resume or H2H ability?

Comment

I'm happy to help in anyway possible.

So a set of ground rules.

- The fighters must have fought at Heavyweight before.
        - We're going by prime weights and will put them into 3 categories.
        - There must be footage of the fighters we are evaluating.

How are we going to do this list? Accomplishments and resume or H2H ability?
        Head To Head first, NO fighters without footage,....... We can do a greatness list based on accomplishments, and Legacy later, that's a much easier thing to do,...... Can you help with a list of the Under 200 fighters fiirst, I know know of the obvious ones........ I think it would help if we go through strengths and weaknessess,...... Maybe a 1 to 5 points on things like Chin and power,........An Under 200 lb class will be very interesting,... I'm getting into this,.......... all on film, much less of a headache.

Comment

• Under 200

Dempsey
          Charles
          Walcott
          Moore
          Patterson
          Tunney
          Marciano
          Langford
          Fitzsimmons
          Darcy
          Jack Sharkey
          Schmeling
          Tommy Burns

Over 200 Less than 230.

Joe Louis (Although he is borderline)
          Muhammad Ali
          Max Baer
          Joe Frazier
          Sonny Liston
          Ken Norton
          Mike Tyson
          Larry Holmes
          Harry Wills
          Prime Foreman
          Jim Jeffries
          Holyfield

Over 230
          Vitali Klitschko
          Wladimir Klitschko
          Jess Williard
          Rid**** Bowe
          Primo Carnea
          Past Prime Foreman
          Lennox Lewis
          Last edited by Barn; 08-12-2011, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Under 200
            PUNCH KO Power,.... Up to 5 Stars
            Dempsey,......... 5 star
            Charles,........... 3 1/2 stars
            Walcott............4 1/2 stars
            Moore.............. 4 1/2 stars
            Patterson..........3 1/2 stars
            Tunney.............3 stars
            Marciano...........5 stars
            Langford...........4 1/2 stars
            Fitzsimmons.......4 stars
            Darcy...............4 stars
            Jack Sharkey..... 5 1/2 stars
            Schmeling,.........4 1/2 stars
            Tommy Burns..... 5 stars
            Jim Corbett ?...3 stars..... Evander Holyfield ?.... 4 stars
            Over 200 Less than 230.

Muhammad Ali
            Max Baer
            Joe Frazier
            Sonny Liston
            Ken Norton
            Mike Tyson
            Larry Holmes
            Harry Wills
            Prime Foreman
            Jim Jeffries
            Holyfield

Over 230
            Vitali Klitschko
            Wladimir Klitschko
            Jess Williard
            Rid**** Bowe
            Primo Carnea
            Past Prime Foreman
            Lennox Lewis
            I think Holyfield is at his best at the lighter weight... Do you agree ??...... Corbett's film is hard to judge, but you get an idea to his style.............. Should we count SAM McVey,........ I'm sure there may be more candidates........ Let Me Know what you think of my KO Power ratings ????..... I mean ONE PUNCH KO ability here....... I await your responce....... I will rate their CHINS Next.

Comment

Under 200

Dempsey
              Charles
              Walcott
              Moore
              Patterson
              Tunney
              Marciano
              Langford
              Fitzsimmons
              Darcy
              Jack Sharkey
              Schmeling
              Tommy Burns

Over 200 Less than 230.

Muhammad Ali
              Max Baer
              Joe Frazier
              Sonny Liston
              Ken Norton
              Mike Tyson
              Larry Holmes
              Harry Wills
              Prime Foreman
              Jim Jeffries
              Holyfield

Over 230
              Vitali Klitschko
              Wladimir Klitschko
              Jess Williard
              Rid**** Bowe
              Primo Carnea
              Past Prime Foreman
              Lennox Lewis
              Are these names in order of your rankings or just who you would have at these particular splits?

Comment

• I Think an important, factor is The fighters reach, and height, someone like Darcy who's short, had an enormous reach for someone 5ft 7in..... it was about 6ft 2in...... maybe the reason for his much vaunted power,.... I ranked his power lower at this weight,... I'd give him a 5 star rating at MW............. I think we need these stats ASAP....... especially comparing fighters with a big height difference........ Incidentally... does Billy Conn qualify ? ..he did fight HW's,... and a couple other LHW's.... were regular visitors to the HW's.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  Are these names in order of your rankings or just who you would have at these particular splits?
                  No Jab, me and Barn' are just trying to come up with shortlists first,..... so we can first discuss the different attributes and factors that can help us see how they'd go,.. Head to Head........... We want to be thorough,...... and we are goin to make 3 different lists based on these weight categories................ Join in with us if you want,.... We're doing just the Small HW's first........... Have we missed any candidates ?????

Comment

• Tale of the tape

Up To 200lbs.........TALE Of The TAPE..Reach & Height,.. (Height in Brackets)
                    Jim CORBETT...(185 cm)---185
                    Bob Fitzsimmons....(182)--182Tommy Burns....(170)---185.... WOW !!Gene Tunney....(183)---196.. also impressive !!Jack Dempsey....(185)----196...YepEzzard CHARLES....(183)----185...Jersey Joe WALCOTT...(183)---188.Floyd Patterson...(183)----180.Evander HOLYFIELD...(189)----198..Billy CONN....(187)----184.Les DARCY....5ft 7in.......74 inches ???????? Can anybody convert inches and feet to Centimeters ??????......so I can compare to the others
                    Last edited by McGoorty; 08-12-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                      Up To 200lbs.........TALE Of The TAPE..Reach & Height,.. (Height in Brackets)
                      Jim CORBETT...(185 cm)---185
                      Bob Fitzsimmons....(182)--182Tommy Burns....(170)---185.... WOW !!Gene Tunney....(183)---196.. also impressive !!Jack Dempsey....(185)----196...YepEzzard CHARLES....(183)----185...Jersey Joe WALCOTT...(183)---188.Floyd Patterson...(183)----180.Evander HOLYFIELD...(189)----198..Billy CONN....(187)----184.Les DARCY....5ft 7in.......74 inches ???????? Can anybody convert inches and feet to Centimeters ??????......so I can compare to the others
                      Les DARCY........5.7'....6.2' = 173 cm...& 189 cm's REACH....... Now that's some reach !!!!!........ His reach is superior to Corbett's....Fitzy....Burns.....Ezzard C.,.....Walcott's...Patterson.... Marciano (Darcy has 19 cm on him).......CONN.... and JOE FRAZIER.......... ROCKY MARCIANO....180 tall & 170 in reach........ that gives Rocky a big disadvantage in reach to all the others,..... His height is superior to some (the obvious ones)/
                      Last edited by McGoorty; 08-12-2011, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X