• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    Kinetic energy is affected by mass.
    The formula is Ek = 0.5xMxV^2,
    With M being mass and V being velocity
    Power is Energy over time P = E/t and if the energy is Kinetic and that is affected by mass and mass is directly proportional to weight.

But, Since the Velocity is squared the mass usually becomes insignificant. The mass will be something like 70kg and I have no idea how fast a proffestional boxer can hit? If someone could tell me it would be possible to work out how much of a difference it would make.

Anyway there are many other factors at play such as muscle force and stuff whch further decreases how much it has an effect.

Unless I have something wrong...
    The key, though, is the generated energy moving the mass. To use the car example, if a car (weighing, say, a half-ton?) moving at 5 mph strikes a person the most likely result is a broken leg or arm or some other bone. A 10 pound steel ball moving at 100 mph will probably kill you. The point is, it's the force that's moving the weight that matters not the weight itself.

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      Oh yeah McCall with his awesome 56% KO rate, great example there Newton

The only applicible physics here is that power is directly corrolated to the amount of kinetic energy generated by the fighter in the punch NOT weight of the mass being moved. Kinetic energy is generated by muscular makeup of a fighter not his weight.

BTW, I noticed you completely ignored the example I gave of James Toney and Mike Tyson.....I wonder why? Maybe because those examples destroy your argument completely?

Poet
      A guy like Tyson is even more dangerous IMO because it is 217 lbs of lean muscle packed on a 5'11 frame. David Tua and Sonny Liston, were of similar types.

James Toney is just FAT and was basically a pregnant supermiddleweight. He was not naturally big like Tyson or Tua.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
        A guy like Tyson is even more dangerous IMO because it is 217 lbs of lean muscle packed on a 5'11 frame. David Tua and Sonny Liston, were of similar types.

James Toney is just FAT and was basically a pregnant supermiddleweight. He was not naturally big like Tyson or Tua.
        Keep trying to spin it dude
        Last edited by JAB5239; 11-28-2010, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• The Tribe---Excellent Show!!

yeah! It sounds great!

Comment

The key, though, is the generated energy moving the mass. To use the car example, if a car (weighing, say, a half-ton?) moving at 5 mph strikes a person the most likely result is a broken leg or arm or some other bone. A 10 pound steel ball moving at 100 mph will probably kill you. The point is, it's the force that's moving the weight that matters not the weight itself.

Poet
            Yeah I know but, I was just pointing out that mass did have a little bit of influence.

Comment

• Love all of them
              this one:
              7. Mike Tyson - A perpetual buzzsaw at his best, a sad, sub-human quitter at his worst, "Iron" Mike was perhaps the single most exciting fighter in heavyweight history.

the most love

Comment

• It is hard to split between Dempsey & Tyson, IMO, as to who was the most exciting Heavyweight to their respective eras. I've no doubt Dempsey's popularity was superior (hugely adored though Tyson was, for a stretch), but to hardcore Boxing fans, both eras spent hand-over-fist to see these two fellas fight, not just because they were immensely-beloved (as was the case of a Joe Louis, or a Muhammad Ali, for instance), but because they were savagely-enthralling fighters in their own right.

Comment

• What do you guys think of this revised list?

1. Joe Louis
                  2. Muhammad
                  3. Jack Dempsey
                  4. Jack Johnson
                  5. Rocky Marciano
                  6. George Foreman
                  7. Joe Frazier
                  8. Larry Holmes
                  9. Sonny Liston
                  10. Mike Tyson

I have some revising to do and will no longer have a top 10 lsit in my signiture until I am comfortable with my new ratings.

Comment

• Why do you think that?

Comment

Poet
                      Yeah probably why a 220 lb Foreman hit harder than a 220 lb Ali, despite the fact that Ali fists were traveling at a much greater speed. Or Andre Dirrell not hitting as hard as Arthur Abraham, despite Andre having much faster handspeed (and them weighing the same.)

Comment

Working...
                      X