This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by glidesmack View Post
    Some great lists here. People seem to know more about the great heavyweights than they do about other fighters.

My two cents - foreman's underrated, so's tyson.

other than that, it's extremely hard to compare the really old fighters, like jefferies, johnson, and dempsey. I think you could do it, especially by comparing videos right against each other.
    The problem with comparing fighters from the past against todays fighters by using video are 1, the quality of the film in many cases. 2, the speed of the old film often leaves out frames and you cannot distinguish many subtlties. 3, old film unlike new film was pretty much only filmed at one angle and mostly from a distance compared to today. Using the film available and reading first hand accounts gives you a much clearer picture of the "old timers" than just film, imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obama View Post
      My Top 20:

Joe Louis
      Muhammad Ali
      Jack Johnson
      Harry Wills
      Larry Holmes
      George Foreman
      Lennox Lewis
      Mike Tyson
      Evander Holyfield
      Sam Langford

Jack Dempsey
      Sonny Liston
      Rocky Marciano
      Joe Frazier
      James J. Jeffries
      Joe Jeannette
      Jack Sharkey
      Riddick Bowe
      Sam McVea
      Max Schmeling
      Something a bit different about your top 10, can't quite put my finger on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
        Something a bit different about your top 10, can't quite put my finger on it.
        With the exception of George Foreman, they all fought a lot of good fighters and held great records against them. Foreman by far fought the most bums out of anyone in my top 10. But, his 3 top wins over Frazier, Norton, and Moorer are too good to not have him in the top 10.

The very best resumes in my top 10 are Louis, Ali, Johnson, Wills, and Langford. The only thing that keeps me from moving Langford any higher than 10 is my belief in his limitations. I see nothing wrong with doing so however.

Comment

• he meant that they're all black smart guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by glidesmack View Post
            he meant that they're all black smart guy.
            I'm new, I don't know who's racist on this forum yet.

Comment

You'll find out soon enough. A good tip: They usually have a Klitschko in their avatar or ID.

Poet

Comment

You have an all black top 10 ATG HW list and I'm the racist?

You sure you're not Brandish's alt?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                  You have an all black top 10 ATG HW list and I'm the racist?

You sure you're not Brandish's alt?
                  You're the racist if you think it has anything to do with race. Let's look at my 11-20. 5 of those guys are white. I by the way am from Philadelphia, which is the complete extent of my bias. Would I have Dempsey above Liston if I was racist? Would I have Marciano above Frazier if I was racist? Would I have Sharkey ahead of Bowe is I was racist? Would I have Schmeling ahead of Patterson if I was racist?

The answer is obviously no. I already gave you a brief explanation of why the guys I chose made my top 10. Not one thing I have said was racist. And for the record, I didn't call you racist. I said I don't know if you are. Someone else implied you were. By your response, the implication seems to hold some water.

Lastly, I have no idea who Brandish is.

Comment

With the exception of George Foreman, they all fought a lot of good fighters and held great records against them. Foreman by far fought the most bums out of anyone in my top 10. But, his 3 top wins over Frazier, Norton, and Moorer are too good to not have him in the top 10.

The very best resumes in my top 10 are Louis, Ali, Johnson, Wills, and Langford. The only thing that keeps me from moving Langford any higher than 10 is my belief in his limitations. I see nothing wrong with doing so however.
                    ** Heh, heh, the only thing keeping Langford from moving you into the world of Splotto are the limitations of your soft youth.

There is a separate but equal school of thought that Big George DUCKED Jerry Quarry after being owned in sparring. Big George denies ever having sparred Quarry when I emailed him, asking had they ever sparred. Quarry can be seen on at least a couple of era broadcasts bigging up George's strength, calling him the strongest man he ever stepped into the ring with.

George on his old website ranked Quarry after Sam Langford as the two greatest heavies to never hold a title, so obviously thinks quite highly of both, more highly than he rates Wills.

Still, it was very kind of you to include Big George in your top 10 in spite of having fought the most bums, a real peach you are.......

Comment

• Doesn't it somewhat hinder your enjoyment of the sport if you limit the fighters you enjoy watching by their colour? Or am I being extremely naive here?

Comment

Working...
                      X