This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yogi View Post
    "From all accounts J. J. Jeffries, the heavyweight pugilist, who is at present looking after the interests of Billy Gallagher at his training quarters, Six-mile House, is a first-class boxer. Gallagher says he would back him (Jeffries) for all the money he ever possessed against any man in America, barring Jim Corbett, a man who Gallagher thinks is the wonder of the age, or any age for that matter.

Jeffries is 19 years old, stands 6 feet 2 1/2 inches without the aid of stockings and wears arms that in length and strength compare favorably with the great John L. Sullivan when the latter was in his prime. Jeffries has fought and whipped twenty men during his short career as a prizefighter, and is now looking for big game."

- San Francisco Call, May 22nd, 1896

Note the date of the article written and notice that the bolded comment is made before what modern sites list as the date of his first fight, whether it be them listing the Long or Griffin, both coming later on (post article) in 1896 according to records.

Could it be possible that Jeffries, like many, many other fighters from his time and beyond, may have had a certain number of other fights during his ring career that haven't found their way onto a modern record keeping website? Yeah, I'd say it's possible and maybe even likely.
    ** Weren't private clubs like Corbett belonged to and ran a way to get around laws against boxing?

Very much like like gym wars, fight clubs, and unliscensed boxing today. Might have even had a few bare knucklers mixed in. Scary stuff thinking of a London Prize Ring Rules version of Jeff.

Good find though, top notch research there bud.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
      Which Lewis? The Lewis he fought who was past his prime? A prime Lewis? A prime Lewis fighting to the limit of the potential Emanual Steward claimed he had?

I think prime Holy would beat the Lewis he fought twice.
      I think prime Holy would lose to prime Lewis on points.
      I think prime Holy would be KTFO by prime Lewis fighting at full potential.
      A prime Holyfield is too quick and too tough for Lewis. I'm talking about the 208 lb Holyfield that fought Foreman. Extremely good chin, incredible re cooperation and hand speed.

The Lewis vs Holyfield fights were very close, and Lewis WAS in his prime. I'm pretty sure in the second fight he was coming to win. Prime for prime, I see Holyfield taking this on a hefty UD.

Comment

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        A prime Holyfield is too quick and too tough for Lewis. I'm talking about the 208 lb Holyfield that fought Foreman. Extremely good chin, incredible re cooperation and hand speed.

The Lewis vs Holyfield fights were very close, and Lewis WAS in his prime. I'm pretty sure in the second fight he was coming to win. Prime for prime, I see Holyfield taking this on a hefty UD.
        Lewis was in his prime IMO when he fought Mercer and past it by the time he fought Holyfield.

I see a '96 Lewis beating a 208lb '91 Holyfield. Holyfield struggled at times against an ageing Foreman and Holmes and in between struggled against Bert Cooper.

It wouldn't have been easy for Lewis but I still see him winning either by early stoppage when he was vulnerable but most likely Lewis would have won a decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by |-|urricane View Post
          Lewis was in his prime IMO when he fought Mercer and past it by the time he fought Holyfield.

I see a '96 Lewis beating a 208lb '91 Holyfield. Holyfield struggled at times against an ageing Foreman and Holmes and in between struggled against Bert Cooper.

It wouldn't have been easy for Lewis but I still see him winning either by early stoppage when he was vulnerable but most likely Lewis would have won a decision.
          So Lewis was pre prime at 29 when he was stopped by McCall, in his prime at 30 when he barely sc****d by a 35 year old Mercer, but past prime at 33 when he fought a 36 year old Holyfield? I'm confused, especially since pretty much all of Lennox's big wins were Holyfield and after.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
            So Lewis was pre prime at 29 when he was stopped by McCall, in his prime at 30 when he barely sc****d by a 35 year old Mercer, but past prime at 33 when he fought a 36 year old Holyfield? I'm confused, especially since pretty much all of Lennox's big wins were Holyfield and after.

When he was stopped by McCall he was pre prime. He then got with Steward and the impact was pretty much immediate.

By the time he fought Morrison and Mercer just 3 to 4 fights later he was in his prime. Your prime only lasts for a few years at most and by the time he fought Holyfield he was past his prime. Still a great fighter and certainly not past it, but past his prime nonetheless.

All of Lewis' big wins were past his prime, and it just goes to show you how great he was that he was still able to keep winning even past his past.

I think your doing an incredible injustice to both Mercer and Lewis when you say he barely sc****d past a 35 year old Mercer.

It implies that Lewis fought badly and got lucky against an old man that wasn't a threat anymore.

In reality he won a close but deserved hard fought decision in an entertaining fight against a dangerous opponent who probably put in one of his best career performances ever.

Both fought at a good pace throughout and both were willing to give and take punches. Both threw plenty of excellent combos in a tough fight.

By the time Lennox fought Holyfield just 3 years later he wasn't able to fight at the pace he fought in the Mercer fight and showed incredible tactical awareness in being able to control the pace of a fight to suit him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
              That guy's a joke, seriously, but I get your point. Anyway, my new list, still a work in progress.

1. Ali
              2. Louis
              3. Lewis
              4. Foreman
              5. Holmes
              6. Holyfield
              7. Marciano
              8. Frazier
              9. Johnson
              10.Tyson

As for that other guy, to the iggy list with the rest of the tards.
              Not a lot wrong with that list mate... Don't see what all the fuss is about...

Comment

• Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                Not a lot wrong with that list mate... Don't see what all the fuss is about...
                I don't see anyone on that list that leaves my scratching my head. Maybe it's the order.....dunno?

Poet

Comment

• Good to see ya back Poet, we campaign to get you back in the comment and suggestions section!

As for that list by Jim Jeffries the people on it all have great arguments to be there, i wouldnt agree with the positioning of some of them. But looks like a decent list to me

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
                    Good to see ya back Poet, we campaign to get you back in the comment and suggestions section!
                    Thanks! I noticed some comments from some peeps that think anyone who doesn't put Tyson as the best ever is automatically dissing him

Poet

Comment

• 1. Muhammad Ali
                      2. Joe Louis
                      3. Rocky Marciano
                      4. Larry Holmes
                      5. George Foreman
                      5. Lennox Lewis
                      6. Jack Johnson
                      7. Jack Dempsey
                      8. Joe Frazier
                      9. Jim Jeffries
                      10. Sonny Liston

Heres a new list I created but I'm still pondering over it. This is just a rough draft that I can go back and edit. I can't decide where to put Holyfield at the moment so I left him off for now.

Comment

Working...
                      X