X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    1) Ali
    2) Holyfield (a prime holy was quite amazing)
    3) Holmes
    4) Lewis
    5) Louis
    6) Foreman
    7) Tyson
    8) Dempsey
    9) Marciano
    10) Frazier
    Last 3, I'm not sure which order. I put Dempsey up there for modernizing boxing and taking on opponents twice his size. Marciano for being undefeated. Tyson for cleaning out the heavyweight division and being the youngest heavyweight champ.

I have holmes at no.3, he fought in both Era's and still posed a great threat even in his old age. See Holyfield vs Holmes. Almost beat Marciano's record and fought much better competition.

I have Holyfield at number 2 due to his multiple title winnings, competition and the fact that I see a Prime holy beating Lewis. I might switch this up though, so don't anybody go berserk.
    Can't fault the list: You have mostly the same people I do albeit with the order shuffled somewhat. I think you're the first (I could be wrong) person other than myself to have Holyfield ranked high.

Poet

Comment

• I have holyfield at 6 which i think is fair. Achievement wise his up there with the best but if you take ability into consideration aswell it drops him down a few places.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
        I have holyfield at 6 which i think is fair. Achievement wise his up there with the best but if you take ability into consideration aswell it drops him down a few places.
        So I was wrong, LOL! The thing is, most lists I see don't even have Holyfield ON them which to me is a travesty.

PS. I don't think "ability" hurts him. You rightly point out Evander's accomplishments but a fighter doesn't HAVE those kind of accomplishments against Holyfield's level of opposition without ability that matches his accomplishments. Food for thought.

Poet

Comment

I have holyfield at 6 which i think is fair. Achievement wise his up there with the best but if you take ability into consideration aswell it drops him down a few places.
          I have Holyfield at 5 or 6 I can't remember without looking it up.

Love the avvy and if only. Looks like JD has signed for us and will be paraded tonight. You watching the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            So I was wrong, LOL! The thing is, most lists I see don't even have Holyfield ON them which to me is a travesty.

PS. I don't think "ability" hurts him. You rightly point out Evander's accomplishments but a fighter doesn't HAVE those kind of accomplishments against Holyfield's level of opposition without ability that matches his accomplishments. Food for thought.

Poet
            Yeh true he had the ability, but i dnt think his ability was as good as some others on that list. Also his heart made it possible for him to beat technically sounder opponents.

Don:

Cheers, yeh i watched the game! i was going mad in the first half especially with Bale who cant even pass the ball let alone defend. We looked much much better in the 2nd half although bales inability to play and lennons inability to kick the ball still annoy me.

Comment

• 1. Muhammad Ali
              2. Joe Louis
              3. Jack Johnson
              4. George Foreman
              5. Larry Holmes
              6. Jack Dempsey
              7. Sonny Liston
              8. Lennox Lewis
              9. Rocky Marciano
              10. Joe Frazier

Comment

Yeh true he had the ability, but i dnt think his ability was as good as some others on that list. Also his heart made it possible for him to beat technically sounder opponents.

Don:

Cheers, yeh i watched the game! i was going mad in the first half especially with Bale who cant even pass the ball let alone defend. We looked much much better in the 2nd half although bales inability to play and lennons inability to kick the ball still annoy me.
                I think his abilities may be underrated, possibly overshadowed by his heart. Let's look at what Evander brought to the table:

1. Very good chin.
                2. Quick, accurate punching.
                3. While lacking one-punch power his punches were very sharp.
                4. Volume punched, especially when younger.
                5. Excellent footwork, especially at giving opponents angles.
                6. Very good ring tactition.
                7. Good conditioning when 100% healthy.
                8. Very focused in the ring.
                9. Underrated defensively: Used angles to limit opponents punching chances.
                10. The last great Heavyweight counter-puncher and the best since Holmes.

Poet

Comment

• This thread hasn't had posts in a while.

Here are some of the greatest moments in heavyweight boxing history:

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    I think his abilities may be underrated, possibly overshadowed by his heart. Let's look at what Evander brought to the table:

1. Very good chin.
                    2. Quick, accurate punching.
                    3. While lacking one-punch power his punches were very sharp.
                    4. Volume punched, especially when younger.
                    5. Excellent footwork, especially at giving opponents angles.
                    6. Very good ring tactition.
                    7. Good conditioning when 100% healthy.
                    8. Very focused in the ring.
                    9. Underrated defensively: Used angles to limit opponents punching chances.
                    10. The last great Heavyweight counter-puncher and the best since Holmes.

Poet
                    Holyfield was a beast, one of the most well rounded boxers - most people overlook his prime.

Comment

• frank bruno was definetly underated imo! although he was never an atg,what he lacked in survival instincts & stamina,he made up for with courage,heart & resolve + underated boxing ability!
                      he never ducked anyone!
                      he was ccomfortably beating james"bonecrusher"smith when his desire for the ko victory in the last round got the better of him!
                      he fought a good fight against witherspoon but in reality he wasn`t ready!
                      he was the first fighter to really rock tyson(as said by tyson himself)
                      he was giving a prime lennox lewis a boxing lesson until he got caught in the 7th
                      and finally after everyone had written him off time and time again! he defeated oliver mcall to win the wbc belt!
                      bruno wasn`t ever the most skillful/talented fighter or even the toughest! but his personality,heart,fighting spirit & that BIG right hand made him a true hero to many(in britain at least!)
                      call me a "nuthugger" or whatever but to me bruno epitomises what boxing is all about!
                      Last edited by cueball66; 01-28-2009, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X