Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll give you that, but I still said Joe Louis was number 1 or 2 all-time, depending on what you like. Joe was world champion for 12 years, which is phenomenal in any given sport and any given era. Ali's rogues gallery of fighters was incredible, seeing he had to face Liston, Moore, Patterson, Frazier, Foreman, Homes, Norton, Shavers and others who are at least Hall-of Famers. Even Chuvalo, Cooper, Ron Lyle, Ellis all would probably have alfabet belts at the very least by today's standards...Nobody can say Ali ducked anyvbody. Any was never counted out. (HOLMES fight was stopped between rounds but Ali was losing badly)

Comment

• I like this list apart from Lewis being up soo high

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
        I like this list apart from Lewis being up soo high
        Top Heavyweights (Statistical List)

1.Muhammed Ali
        2.Joe Louis
        3.Larry Holmes
        4.Mike Tyson
        5.Evander Holyfield
        6.Lennox Lewis
        7.Joe Frazier
        8.Jack Johnson
        9.Jack Dempsey
        10.Rocky Marciano
        11.George oreman
        12.Sonny Liston
        My list changes frequently but here it is....

12. frazier
        11. Dempsey
        10. Marciano
        9. Holyfield
        8. Liston
        7. Tyson
        6. Foreman
        5. Lewis
        4. Johnson
        3. Holmes
        2. Ali
        1. Louis

Comment

• Originally posted by Yogi View Post
          Come on now, that "Bum of the Month" club wasn't written in reference to Louis' whole title reign, just the time frame from Dec 1940 to May of 1941, when Jacobs announced in advance that Louis would be defending the title each month on a tour that was to take Louis across the country, and culminated with the defense against the No. 1 contender, Billy Conn (who wasn't part of the "bum" club).

The "Bum of the Month" was written in reference to six defenses of Louis' in the span of six months.
          God I can't stop reading this post in a yogi the bear voice.

Also here is my top 10:
          1. Ali
          2. Louis
          3. Holmes
          4. Lewis
          5. Johnson
          6. Foreman
          7. Holyfield
          8. Marciano
          9. Tyson
          10. Frazier

Dempsey cracks 11.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            My list changes frequently but here it is....

12. frazier
            11. Dempsey
            10. Marciano
            9. Holyfield
            8. Liston
            7. Tyson
            6. Foreman
            5. Lewis
            4. Johnson
            3. Holmes
            2. Ali
            1. Louis
            I think everybodies does! I know I'm constantly juggling mine, other than the top four that is.

Poet

Comment

• This is my personal top 10 list of all time great heavyweights. I am only going off of accomplishments, not who would beat the other.

1. Muhammed Ali
              2. Joe Louis
              3. Jack Johnson
              4. Larry Holmes
              5. Lennox Lewis
              6. George Foreman
              7. Evander Holyfield
              8. Rocky Marciano
              9. Mike Tyson
              10. Joe Frazier

Comment

• Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
                This is my personal top 10 list of all time great heavyweights. I am only going off of accomplishments, not who would beat the other.

1. Muhammed Ali
                2. Joe Louis
                3. Jack Johnson
                4. Larry Holmes
                5. Lennox Lewis
                6. George Foreman
                7. Evander Holyfield
                8. Rocky Marciano
                9. Mike Tyson
                10. Joe Frazier
                Thanks for the replies lads, some great lists there. Who'd have thought 20 years ago Britain would of had an all-time great heavyweight who slips in on many peoples lists on average between no.3 and no.5 of all time.

Slick, on accomplishments are you putting Jack Johnson that high not just because of no. of defenses but the fact that he managed to become heavyweight champion in an era when black fighters were wrongly not given the chances so deserved to them?

Comment

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
                  Thanks for the replies lads, some great lists there. Who'd have thought 20 years ago Britain would of had an all-time great heavyweight who slips in on many peoples lists on average between no.3 and no.5 of all time.

Slick, on accomplishments are you putting Jack Johnson that high not just because of no. of defenses but the fact that he managed to become heavyweight champion in an era when black fighters were wrongly not given the chances so deserved to them?
                  Pretty much, and plus the fact that he was the first black heavyweight champion and one of the first fighters to put his offense with his defense and show true ability. He was truely great and i have been underestimating his resume as well. Name like Jefferies, Jeanette, Langford, Burns, Fitzsimmons, ect alone is pretty much a hall of fame career. He also had about 103 fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
                    Pretty much, and plus the fact that he was the first black heavyweight champion and one of the first fighters to put his offense with his defense and show true ability. He was truely great and i have been underestimating his resume as well. Name like Jefferies, Jeanette, Langford, Burns, Fitzsimmons, ect alone is pretty much a hall of fame career. He also had about 103 fights.
                    He was so ahead of his time it's unbelievable, the only knock I have against him is that he never defended the title against the best contenders out there.

He of all people knew the difficulties the black man faced in trying to get a shot at the title in a white mans world and I feel he should have defended against the top black fighters, he was treating them the same way he was treated himself.

Having said that I love him and how he did things his way, they couldn't keep him out forever. Reminds me in a way of Lennox Lewis and how because he wasn't American was never given the chances he deserved, but he persisted and eventually the top fighters had no choice but to fight him.

Comment

• Originally posted by hurricane72 View Post
                      He was so ahead of his time it's unbelievable, the only knock I have against him is that he never defended the title against the best contenders out there.

He of all people knew the difficulties the black man faced in trying to get a shot at the title in a white mans world and I feel he should have defended against the top black fighters, he was treating them the same way he was treated himself.

Having said that I love him and how he did things his way, they couldn't keep him out forever. Reminds me in a way of Lennox Lewis and how because he wasn't American was never given the chances he deserved, but he persisted and eventually the top fighters had no choice but to fight him.
                      Excellent points.

Comment

Working...
                      X