Collapse
No announcement yet.

Donovan "Razor" Ruddock: Unluckiest HW contender

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, excellent fights. The rare occassion where Tyson displayed heart, stamina, and the will to win. The second fight especially, where in the 11th and 12th rounds he was still displaying head movement. In the 10th round, he landed 8 or 9 consecutive body shots that really slowed Ruddock down.

Razor should have been given title shots during the early 90's. Whether he would have won or not, I don't know. I think he would have beaten Holyfield back then. Maybe I'm nuts.

Comment

i watch those fights alot to look at tyson mid to close to inside range fighting

Comment

Tyson actually showed a decent ability to fight in the clinches as well. Clearly, this was a positive direction for Mike, and could have really made his legacy look a lot better were it not for his trip to prison shortly after these fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassangel View Post
          Yeah, excellent fights. The rare occassion where Tyson displayed heart, stamina, and the will to win. The second fight especially, where in the 11th and 12th rounds he was still displaying head movement. In the 10th round, he landed 8 or 9 consecutive body shots that really slowed Ruddock down.

Razor should have been given title shots during the early 90's. Whether he would have won or not, I don't know. I think he would have beaten Holyfield back then. Maybe I'm nuts.
          I really doubt that he would have beat Holyfield but he shure could have beat a lot of the other lesser title holders like Seldon,Bruno,ect. Here is a little on what I think would happen. I also made a dream fight thread about this a long time ago but couldn't find it .http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...yfield+ruddock
          Last edited by THE REAL NINJA; 02-01-2007, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Ruddock used to be more of a boxer with a great left jab. Check out his fight with Mike Weaver. He was a different fighter than the one that Tyson fought. After the Weaver fight Ruddock split with his trainer George Chuvalo and soon thereafter developed into a one shot power puncher and I never saw that great jab again.

In 1986 Ruddock was brought in to Larry Holmes training camp to help Holmes prepare for his rematch with Michael Spinks. Rudock was brought in because of his excellent jab which was Spinks' anticipated main weapon against Holmes. A press release at that time said Ruddock was fired because Holmes was having too much difficulty dealing with Ruddock's jab.

Here's a decent clip of a Holmes-Ruddock sparring session. Watch how good Ruddock's jab was.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cPIXnEuqNZA
            Last edited by SABBATH; 02-01-2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Ruddock more or less damned himself when he abandoned "boxing" for slugging. He had good skill, great ability, and great power; but when he devoted himself to focusing on spectacular finishes with "the Smash", he made himself a one-armed, one dimensional slugger....and no fighter with that many limitations is ever going to dominate a division.

He had the ability to be so much more than he was.

Comment

Sabbath thanks for the Youtube sparring session. Ruddock looked better in it than he did here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v7NHwKXG9...elated&search=

Comment

Yes, i've also seen this, never thought until now that Holmes and Ruddock did spar against each other. I remember an article about another 90s heavyweight contender alex stewart, who sparred with michael spinks and helped him prepare for a rematch with Holmes.

Comment

Originally posted by ROBO #1 View Post
                    U can buy his FULL career for about £20- $38, I'll give u the hook up if u want
                    This guy duz any fight u want for 50pence, u can make ur own complimation dvds, its who i get most of my **** from
                    Let me know who this guy is please mate. I'm mostly after Ike Ibeabuchi, and Edwin Valero fights. Pretty much got everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
                      Ruddock more or less damned himself when he abandoned "boxing" for slugging. He had good skill, great ability, and great power; but when he devoted himself to focusing on spectacular finishes with "the Smash", he made himself a one-armed, one dimensional slugger....and no fighter with that many limitations is ever going to dominate a division.

He had the ability to be so much more than he was.
                      he would have got away with it had he had a good chin

Comment

Working...
                      X