No announcement yet.

Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns had everything

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns had everything

I saw three of Tommy Hearns fights the other day on ESPN Classic, damn that guys got skills . I realise that my previous sentence is a contender for the most obvious statement in 2006 but after looking at those fights and five i got off a friend I feel inspired.

People go on and on about who's the greatest fighter of all time Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson or Muhammed Ali but hardly anyone mentions Hearns, who I believe is a serious contender.

One of only two fighters along with Sugar Ray Leonard to win belts in five different weight categories, will there ever be fighters like this again?

the guy is so fun to watch, his speed and power is amazing...

Comment

Originally posted by gangland_kingpi View Post
      I saw three of Tommy Hearns fights the other day on ESPN Classic, damn that guys got skills . I realise that my previous sentence is a contender for the most obvious statement in 2006 but after looking at those fights and five i got off a friend I feel inspired.

People go on and on about who's the greatest fighter of all time Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson or Muhammed Ali but hardly anyone mentions Hearns, who I believe is a serious contender.

One of only two fighters along with Sugar Ray Leonard to win belts in five different weight categories, will there ever be fighters like this again?

Tommy had everything;but one.....timing. He was born at the wrong time to dominate.

...and there are some questions about his chin; but I don't think it was all that bad...it wasn't all that good; but it wasn't all that bad. Also, he would always have had trouble with someone with a good left hook; but if he were coming along today in the welterweight divison today he'd give just about everybody fits. Mayweather and Mosley would have tremendous difficulty overcoming his height and receach. His right hand would be potentially deadly for Cotto and Cintron. And his boxing ability would topple Margarito.

He's an ATG, no doubt; but thanks for recognizing him.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
        Tommy had everything;but one.....timing. He was born at the wrong time to dominate.

...and there are some questions about his chin; but I don't think it was all that bad...it wasn't all that good; but it wasn't all that bad. Also, he would always have had trouble with someone with a good left hook; but if he were coming along today in the welterweight divison today he'd give just about everybody fits. Mayweather and Mosley would have tremendous difficulty overcoming his height and receach. His right hand would be potentially deadly for Cotto and Cintron. And his boxing ability would topple Margarito.

He's an ATG, no doubt; but thanks for recognizing him.
        that is a severe understatement imo, dr. k:

this is a fighter who would have outboxed leonard's title away from him if title fights had been 12 rounds.

also the fighter who probably landed more than anyone else on benitez.

his jab-right would have proven a style nightmare for mosley

and if there is something in pbf's bag of tricks that would win him this fight, we did not see yet. (could he pull out an improved version of his judah performance? maybe)

hearns was a pleasure to watch, and i feel had he had a stronger chin we would have seen a couple of fights end differently.

Comment

You guys mentioned it already. He had everything but a very good chin. And he really needed that in his era.

Comment

tommy hearns was great. he was a master boxer, which he proved the first time he fought leonard. at that time a lot of people thought that he was just a bully with power. but he also had awsome power. the knockout of duran is amazing. its ashame that most people remember him for his losses to leonard and hagler then his wins against cuevas and duran.

Comment

Thomas Hearns for me is the most exciting fighter ever to live.

He looked awkward and gangly but this hid an absolute wrecking machine, he could box beautifully, punch with both hands but had a vulnerable chin and you felt he was always one punch either way from glory or defeat!

This fight with Juan Roldan is a decent example!

Comment

ok everyone has said it all ready but: he had everything but a good chin and although his chin wasn;t terrible he just couldn't recover from it

Comment

I'd say Hearns' weakness consisted of a lack of a quality chin as pointed out, poor inside fighting ability, rather weak in the physical strength department (more prevailant as he rose in weight), and I'd say his inability to tie someone up when hurt and /or on the inside could also be classified as a weakness.

Comment

Tommy HEarns is one of my all-time favorite fighters. The man had hands that were as quick as lightning and as powerful as dynamite. I mean holy **** could he ****in punch. I don't think the man could be outboxed when he was up on his toes flicking that quick piston jab at you....following it with that devastating right cross and left hook.

I really wonder how poor his chin was at 147 and 154 though. I mean we never really saw him hurt down there because he was too busy blowing people out. He took 12+ rounds of Ray Leonard onslaught before succumbing to the assault. He was hurt a few times by Ray earlier than that though. I'm rambling.

Anyway, I don't see any of these current welterweights beating him. I don't see any current middleweights beating a prime Hearns for that matter. He'd cause mayhem for guys like Mayweather because I don't think Mayweather could hurt him and HEarns power/ability would be superior to Floyd's. IN head to head matchups I don't think there many welters who could deal with Tommy.

Comment

Working...
                    X