No announcement yet.

Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns had everything

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
    Tommy HEarns is one of my all-time favorite fighters. The man had hands that were as quick as lightning and as powerful as dynamite. I mean holy **** could he ****in punch. I don't think the man could be outboxed when he was up on his toes flicking that quick piston jab at you....following it with that devastating right cross and left hook.

I really wonder how poor his chin was at 147 and 154 though. I mean we never really saw him hurt down there because he was too busy blowing people out. He took 12+ rounds of Ray Leonard onslaught before succumbing to the assault. He was hurt a few times by Ray earlier than that though. I'm rambling.

Anyway, I don't see any of these current welterweights beating him. I don't see any current middleweights beating a prime Hearns for that matter. He'd cause mayhem for guys like Mayweather because I don't think Mayweather could hurt him and HEarns power/ability would be superior to Floyd's. IN head to head matchups I don't think there many welters who could deal with Tommy.
    Actually he took about 3 rounds of punishment from Ray but whateer....you know it all.

Comment

Tommy is a P4P ATG without question. He could out box the boxers (Benitez, Leonard, Hill) and outpunch the punchers (Cuevas, Duran, Roldan). He had incredible one-shot power as witnessed by his KO's of Duran and James Schuler among many others.

As a puncher, Tommy had very good lateral mobility and a fast and accurate jab which made him incredibly difficult to beat long range when he got up on his toes and moved.

Tommy was able to carry his abilities and power 30 lbs from welterweight up to light-heavyweight as his one sided demolition of champion Dennis Andries showed.

Tommy didn't have a granite jaw but in 67 pro fights only Hagler and Iran Barkley scored clean KO's over him, and don't forget Tommy broke his right hand in the opening moments of the Hagler fight and the Barkley KO punch was a desperation hail mary.

Comment

tommy was one of few KO artists who could perform 1 punch KO's on class opponents

Comment

Duran has been in 119 fights ranging from 7 weight classes, he had never been dominated till the day he met hearns, nuff said. I dont want to hear excuses, if you cant get inside hearns, ur done.

Hearns has beat 4 hall of famers, drew with leonard in a fight he clearly won and has beat like 10 other good fighters. He is an all time great, top 50 ever for sure.

Trinidad is good, but he's no thomas hearns.

Comment

It was always amazing to watch such power come from such a lanky fellow.

Comment

Hearns is an idol to all us skinny lanky folks.

At Welter and Middleweight, his jab is still one of the sharpest ive ever seen. He used is unusual body type very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Pazuzu View Post
                Hearns is an idol to all us skinny lanky folks.

At Welter and Middleweight, his jab is still one of the sharpest ive ever seen. He used is unusual body type very well.

yeh but he never looked small for a cruiser or flabby for 180lbs,
                did he do weights?

Comment

he was a great fighter...he totally destroyed duran ( who is one of my all time faves ), was involved in one of THE greatest fights ever and was clearly robbed against the poster boy leonard ( i refuse to call him sugar ray as there was only one true sugar man )....

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
                    Mayweather and Mosley would have tremendous difficulty overcoming his height and receach. His right hand would be potentially deadly for Cotto and Cintron. And his boxing ability would topple Margarito.

all those guys would get starched by hearns very quickly

Originally posted by gangland_kingpi View Post

People go on and on about who's the greatest fighter of all time Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson or Muhammed Ali but hardly anyone mentions Hearns, who I believe is a serious contender.

hearns was a great fighter and excellent to watch, but he was no where near as good as those 3 you mentioned!!

hearns had a **** chin and his stamina started getting worse and worse as he moved up in weight!!
                    Last edited by Blue Öyster; 08-08-2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the topic. I agree with what you folks are saying about "The Hitman" and those were many of the reasons why he was and is my favorite boxer. The thing about him that sealed the deal for me was that he seemed to take his losses well. If I recall correctly, he demanded from his team not to take any glory away from Marvelous Marvin Hagler by mentioning that he has broken his hand early in their fight. After that Hail Mary shot that Barkley landed in their first fight, he told Iran at that post-fight conference something along the lines of, "you out hit The Hitman," with a chuckle. What a special fighter he was to complement his conqueror right after being taken out on his shield. Even after the first Leonard fight, he took the loss well, although he sure did have to wait a long time for a rematch (where I thought he should have been given the decision). I've always thought that he would have given any boxer in history all they could want, from welterweight to super-middle (light heavy and cruiser, I think the best at those classes would have been too much for him).

Enough babbling from me. Back to lurking mode.

Kindest regards.

Comment

Working...
                      X