By Steve Kim
Trainer Andre Rozier - who works with Sergey Derevyanchenko (12-0, 10 KOs) - is overjoyed with the recent ruling of the IBF to strip Gennady Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) as their middleweight champion.
The International Boxing Federation announced on Wednesday that Golovkin was being stripped of his title - due to his failure to obligate himself to make a mandatory defense against Derevyanchenko,
"Finally, a sanctioning body that follows through as they should, finally!," Rozier said excitedly to BoxingScene.com on Thursday afternoon.
With the ruling Derevyancheko - who is rated number one by the organization - will soon be getting his shot at the vacant title.
"I would actually like to see him and (Jermall) Charlo get it on for this IBF title," said Rozier.
Charlo is currently rated fourth by the IBF but is also in in line for the WBC title, which is still held by Golovkin. Last month, Charlo captured the WBC's interim-title.
"But if not, I guess whoever's going to come after that. I just want to see Sergey, who's the most deserving young man in the game of boxing, you're not going to find a more kind, considerate, faithful kid on the planet. He never complains, he works hard and he deserves a shot - he deserves a shot," Rozier said.
The IBF stated in their ruling that the two highest available contenders will be paired off for their middleweight title.
"So hopefully this moment has come in his life where he can reap the rewards of all that work that he's put in to get to the point he's at now," said Rozier, who believes this upcoming title opportunity will take place, "around the end of August, early September."
Derevyanchenko was last seen in action back in March, when he took a stay-busy fight and stopped Dashon Johnson in six rounds.
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com