As BoxingScene.com previously reported, IBO, WBC, WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) will attempt to snap the defense record of division great Bernard Hopkins, when the undefeated beltholder steps in the ring to defend his titles against Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.
The rematch takes place on September 15th from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Canelo (49-1-2, 34 KOs) fought Golovkin back in September 2017 - and the bout ended in a controversial twelve round split draw.
They were set to fight on May 5th, with the fight being postponed after Canelo tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol.
Golovkin tied the 20 defense record in May, when he knocked out late replacement Vanes Martirosyan.
The Canelo fight was then pushed back to September, as Golovkin attempts to make middleweight history with defense 21.
Hopkins set the 20 defense record in February 2005 when he dominated Howard Eastman. Because of boxing politics and fighters jumping from one weight division to another, nobody expected his record to be broken.
"This is a legacy fight for both guys," said Loeffler to Sky Sports. "If GGG wins this fight or retains his title, he breaks Bernard Hopkins' legendary record.
"Nobody thought anyone would break that record of 20 title defences in the middleweight division."
Ironically, Hopkins is a partner is Golden Boy Promotions, who guide the career of Canelo.
Hopkins' partner, Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya, feels confident that Canelo will prevent GGG from breaking that record.
"Bernard Hopkins wouldn't be any happier if Canelo -- when Canelo stops him from breaking his record. Obviously, that's a huge seat in his career. Even 20 defenses is huge. Bernard Hopkins, the fighters he's faced, the opposition he's faced, and then being able to defend his title 20 times is incredible," De La Hoya said.
"So September 15, I'm pretty sure Bernard Hopkins is going to be rooting for Canelo even more so because his record's on the line."