As BoxingScene.com previously reported, Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez did not rule out facing Gennady Golovkin for a third time after the Mexican star punished Rocky Fielding inside three rounds in New York.
Alvarez became a three-weight world champion by outmuscling and outclassing WBA 'regular' super middleweight holder Fielding via a third-round knockout at Madison Square Garden on Saturday.
A pair of knockdowns in the third round, and four in total during the bout, saw the referee stop the fight in front of more than 20,000 people.
Fielding was a towering presence but the Englishman was no match for Alvarez – forced to his knees in the opening round after taking a strong left shot to the body.
Alvarez sent Fielding down again in the second round with another body shot and it was not long before the fight was over – the brutal display ended with two knockdowns in the third.
Alvarez was coming off his 50th career win – a blockbuster clash against Golovkin at middleweight in September – and the big-hitting fighter did not close the door on a Canelo-GGG trilogy.
"I felt that it ended on September 15 and I showed that I was best," Alvarez told DAZN in the ring afterwards.
"But they were two great fights that's no secret, and if the people want it, we can make it."
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, who promotes Canelo, says his boxer must knock Golovkin out in a third fight.
Canelo holds the WBC, WBA middleweight titles and returns to the ring on May 4th in Las Vegas.
"I think the difference is going to be that somebody is getting knocked out. They know each other's style now. With GGG, the first fight people say he came forward, he won the fight because he was aggressive," De La Hoya told First Take.
"So I tell Canelo that he has to go out there and bully the bully. If a third one happens, there is no room for a decision or anything like that, I think you have to knock your guy out to win."