Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, who promotes Mexican superstar Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez, expects the rematch with IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin to be much bigger than the first meeting - because of the increasing animosity between the two fighters.

They were scheduled to fight on May, but Canelo withdrew after testing positive, twice, for the banned substance clenbuterol back in February.

Canelo was suspended for six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but he will eligible to fight by August 17th - and plans to fight again on September 15th.

On Tuesday, Canelo announced that he has enrolled in year round PED testing with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA).

A few weeks after Canelo tested positive, Golovkin accused him of being a longtime user of performance enhancing drugs and he's continued to call the Mexican star a "dirty" athlete.

Golovkin marched forward with his career and returned to the ring on May 5th, and knocked out very late replacement Vanes Martirosyan in two rounds at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

De La Hoya believes a deal will be reached to hold the rematch in September.

“Canelo has announced that he will be tested by VADA but what a lot of people don’t know is that he’s been actually tested several times with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. They tested him just two days ago. I think they’re testing them today as well, but he wanted to enroll in the year-round testing for his fans," De La Hoya told AFP.

De La Hoya is 75 percent confident that a deal will get done in time for the HBO Pay-Per-View contest to take place on the target date in September.

While he admits that Canelo's name has taken a few hits in the United States, he believes that his boxer's superstar standing in Mexico was not affected by the drug testing controversy.

“I think [Canelo’s stature has] been affected here a bit in the US. But guess what, I’ve always said you’re as good as your last fight. Canelo is fine though. He wants to fight," De La Hoya said.

“He wants to keep proving that he’s innocent to keep proving that it was an innocent mistake, what took place. And it’s funny because I’ve traveled to Mexico quite a few times now and they ask people, what do you think about this news with Canelo? And they’re like, what news? With all this animosity now, guess what? The fight is going to be even bigger.

“I’m 75 percent sure, confident that, that we can get this done because [the comments from Golovkin and his camp] had been quite disparaging towards him. But of course everybody uses their own negotiating tactics. But I can say that I think I’m about 75 percent confident right now and happy with the process that has happened the last couple of days in terms of the broader stuff. There’s no cut off date but there will be one shortly because we need to get to work.”