On Monday, former unified world middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin officially announced his three-year, six-fight deal with sports streaming service DAZN, joining rivals Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Daniel Jacobs on their boxing roster.
A few days ago, DAZN announced Golovkin's arrival to their streaming service, a move that probably sets up a third meeting between the 36-year-old Kazakhstan fighter and Mexico's 28-year-old Alvarez for later this year.
"We have a clear agenda at DAZN to bring fans the best fights for affordable subscription price. We’re are not going to be able to bring fans the fights without Gennady Golovkin. He was a key element of what we’re going to be which is to be the premiere destination for fight fans. There was very little question in my mind that this is a signing we needed to make. Happy to hear Gennady expects six times and happy to hear that more than six times if he’s still fighting at a high level. We’re thrilled, this is a great deal for us, and we’re very excited," said DAZN's Executive Chairman John Skipper.
Golovkin, 38-1-1 with 34 knockouts, and Alvarez, 51-1 with two draws and 35 knockouts, fought to a draw in 2017 before Alvarez won by majority decision last September.
Should Canelo and Golovkin win their upcoming assignments, Skipper is certainly in favor of a trilogy fight in the fall.
“Our intentions is to bring fans the best fights and the fights they most want to see. A third fight between Gennady and Canelo is what fans want to see. We’re focused right now on May 4 with Canelo and Daniel Jacobs. Jacobs happens to be a DAZN fighter and we’re focused on the fight Gennady will have in June, which we also expect to be a difficult fight. He’s only interested in fighting appropriate opponents. So we’re going to focus on those fights and see what happens,” Skipper said.
Expectations are for Golovkin to make his DAZN debut in June before another bout with Alvarez, who has a May 4 middleweight unification showdown set with Jacobs in Las Vegas for the World Boxing Association, World Boxing Council and International Boxing Federation crowns.
Should Jacobs win, it could set up a rematch between him and Golovkin, who took a unanimous decision victory over the American in 2017.
Alvarez inked a five-year DAZN deal last year, and so did WBO champion Demetrius Andrade. Such deals helped lure Golovkin.