Former super flyweight world champion Carlos 'Principe' Cuadras from Sinaloa highlighted that the fans were the real winners by witnessing a war in his rematch against Juan Francisco 'Gallo' Estrada from Sonora. Their second fight took place on Friday from the TV Azteca studios in Mexico City.
While he did not come out with the victory, he showed that he's ready to compete with anyone at 115 pounds.
After scoring two knockdowns in the eleventh round, Estrada retained his WBC super flyweight strap when he finished Cuadras off with a barrage of punches.
There was a bit of controversy in the third round. Cuadras dropped Estrada and was following up with further punches, but the round was cut short 23 seconds too soon. It was the first time that Estrada had been down in nine years.
Cuadras had no idea the round had ended early until well after the fight was over. He learned about the issue hours later.
"The truth is I did not realize it," said Cuadras to ESPN Deportes.
"If they hadn't cut the round maybe things would have been different. But Estrada is a great fighter, he needed to win and I have all the respect for him."
Their first bout, which took place in 2017, saw Estrada was a razor-thin twelve round decision.
The second fight had a lot more drama and fireworks from bell to bell.
"I think the people who actually won was the public [who watched the fight], and it was also shown to everyone that Cuadras will be around for a while. I think that was seen [in the fight]," said Cuadras, who no doubt will be considered again for a big fight in 2021.