By Steve Kim
In what was a rather surprising announcement, middleweight champion, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs), announced on Twitter that he would be facing WBA 'regular' super middleweight titlist, Rocky Fielding, on December 15th at the Madison Square Garden in New York.
Eric Gomez, the president of Golden Boy Promotions, told BoxingScene.com on Friday afternoon from Kiev, Ukraine, "- Canelo wants to make history. He wanted to do something different. He's never fought at that weight but he wants to do something special.
"It's his first time fighting in New York, he's very excited to fight in 'the Mecca of Boxing' where Muhammad Ali and all the greats fought and he wants it to be a special event."
Alvarez is coming off a tough 12-round fight against Gennady Golovkin on September 15th, when Canelo secured a majority decision win to capture the WBC, WBA middleweight belts at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
For the Mexican star this is a rather quick turnaround but Gomez pointed out - "He's always in great shape, he's a young guy and he wants to prove that he'll fight anybody, anytime and he wants to be great."
And for the time being he will still be the WBC middleweight titlist.
"He's still going to be representing the WBC as the middleweight champion and he was given a voluntary defense," explained Gomez.
Now, the big question is just who will televise this event.
For years Canelo had been associated with HBO Sports which last week announced they were going to be leaving the boxing business after this year.
Gomez says that the network is still in play to broadcast this event.
But he added - "The broadcasting and pay-per-view and all that, it'll be determined in the next week or so."
As for which networks/platforms are in the running, Gomez said simply, "any and all."
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com