By Steve Kim
This weekend was supposed to be the anticipated rematch between unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, and Mexican superstar Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez - but that fight was scuttled as the Mexican superstar tested positive for clenbuterol and was eventually suspended for six months by the Nevada Athletic Commission.
Alvarez is eligible to return to the ring in the late summer and is slated to return on September 15th.
So will the rematch be re-scheduled for that date?
Golden Boy Promotions president, Eric Gomez, told BoxingScene.com on Tuesday morning - "I've been in communication with Tom Loeffler (the head of GGG Promotions) we're going to have a meeting right after the May 5th fight."
Golovkin faces Vanes Martirosyan this weekend at the StubHub Center on HBO.
"Our intention is to make the fight," stated Gomez. "That's the fight we had made, that's the fight 'Canelo' wants but look, if Golovkin for whatever reason doesn't want to fight him then we'll have a back-up plan. We have two or three other guys that we're looking at, right now. But that's the fight that 'Canelo' wants and that's the fight I'm going to try and get done."
It was reported last week that Alvarez that had submitted to a hair test which backed up his claim that his positive test for clenbuterol came as a result of eating tainted meat from Mexico.
"I had no doubt that this was all accidental, in fact, people close to the situation and part of the investigation told me the same thing - they had no doubt it was accidental," stated Gomez.
"This is just bad luck with the jurisdiction of the fight. Every state has different laws, rules and regulations. But if this fight as taking place in another state this fight would've gone through.
"So you've got to respect Nevada and we respect them, of course we do and it is what it is but I'm glad it's behind us now and we can concentrate on getting the fight done for September and that's our goal."
As for starting the random drug testing shortly after this weekend as Loeffler has suggested for both boxers, Gomez says, "no problem, no problem, 'Canelo' has no problem doing whatever it takes."
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.