As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Canelo Alvarez will return to the ring and to the middleweight division on May 4 to fight Danny Jacobs.
Alvarez will defend his WBC and WBA (Super) titles against IBF champion Jacobs in a matchup of two of the sport’s top middleweight performers. No venue has been announced for the bout on the eve of Cinco de Mayo - but the T-Mobile Area in Las Vegas is the frontrunner.
Mexico’s Alvarez (50-1-2, 35 knockouts) became a three-division world champion by knocking out Rocky Fielding in three rounds to take the WBA "regular" super middleweight crown in December.
He now goes back to middleweight, where he owns a draw and a victory over Gennady Golovkin that lifted him to the top of a loaded division.
After Jacobs, Canelo wants to target the WBO world title - which is currently held by Demetrius Andrade.
Canelo, Jacobs and Andrade are all contractually tied to streaming service DAZN.
“I’m ready for this fight, this is the fight that I wanted,” the 28-year-old Alvarez said.
“I will unify my middleweight titles against Daniel Jacobs on one of the two most important dates that belong to me. I have no doubt that I will be victorious and that I’ll be one step away from becoming the undisputed middleweight world champion.”
Jacobs, a 31-year-old New Yorker who overcame bone cancer to become a champion, is 35-2 with 29 KOs.
Despite losing a close bout to Golovkin in 2017, Jacobs remained a force. He hasn’t lost since and took the IBF belt by defeating Sergiy Derevyanchenkoto.
“This is the opportunity I have been waiting for, the opportunity to achieve greatness inside the ring,” Jacobs said.
“I have always believed I can beat Canelo, and on May 4 live on DAZN, I will get my chance to play it out. It’s been nearly four years since Canelo has faced an American challenger. It’s going to be a huge event where I believe I will cement myself as the best middleweight in the division.”