By Miguel Rivera
Golden Boy Promotions confirmed reports from Mexico, revealing that former world champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) underwent surgery on Friday at a private hospital in his native Jalisco.
However, Golden Boy says the surgery was "cosmetic" and nothing serious.
"Yes, they operated on Canelo Alvarez, but it was cosmetic, there are no more details," a spokesman for Golden Boy told ESPN Deportes.
Reports surfaced on Friday morning that Canelo entered a hospital to undergo arthroscopic knee surgery, but those reports were never confirmed by Golden Boy or the boxer's handlers.
Golden Boy did not confirm if Canelo will remain at the hospital overnight; nevertheless, a nearby source commented that they did not expect major setbacks.
Canelo will take part in a disciplinary hearing on April 18 with the Athletic Commission of Nevada, regarding his two positive tests for low levels of clenbuterol from back in February.
At the hearing, Canelo will be facing up to a one year suspension as a first time offenders. Because of his cooperation, the boxer is potentially going to receive a 50% reduction of that sentence, and that would make him capable of fighting by August.
Canelo will not attend the hearing personally, but he will be connected via telephone while his legal representatives will attend the hearing to discuss the doping tests which Canelo took on February 17 and 10.
The Mexican superstar was scheduled to to fight middleweight king Gennady Golovkin on May 5th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Last week, Canelo withdrew from the contest after being placed under a temporary suspension by the Nevada Commission.
Golovkin is still scheduled, for the moment, to fight on May 5th, but the event has shifted to the StubHub Center in Carson, California. The opponent has yet to be set down and time is quickly running out.