As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, heavyweight contenders Dominic Breazeale and Dillian Whyte have been ordered to fight by the World Boxing Council to determine the mandatory challenger to heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder, the WBC said on Tuesday.
Wilder retained his title after a controversial split decision draw with Britain’s Tyson Fury last December at Staples Center in Carson, California and the WBC quickly sanctioned a direct rematch, further delaying a defence against mandatory challenger Breazeale.
The rematch between the two boxers is likely heading to a date of May 18th at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, according to numerous sources in the UK.
Breazeale (20-1, 18 KOs) has been the mandatory challenger since defeating compatriot Eric Molina in an eighth round stoppage in November 2017.
“In order to provide activity to the heavyweight division and address the rights of Breazeale as mandatory challenger, the WBC is ordering a fight for the interim championship,” the sanctioning body said in a statement.
Last December, Breazeale stopped Carlos Negron of Puerto Rico in the ninth round to remain mandatory challenger and then called out Wilder, who was in attendance.
Whyte (25-1 18 KOs) moved up the heavyweight ranks during a busy 2018 in which the WBC Silver Champion retained his title with wins over Lucas Browne, Joseph Parker and Dereck Chisora.
Breazeale is very much on board with the contest. The idea of facing Whyte was discussed last year, but Breazeale had little interest at the time as he was waiting for a clash with Wilder. Since that contest won't happen any time soon, Breazeale will continue to stay busy with a very tough fight against Whyte.
"[Deontay Wilder] continues to run, I'll continue to keep fighting the fights he doesn't want. Be ready Dillian Whyte because trouble is coming," Breazeale stated on social media.