By Shaun Brown
Tony Bellew could be set for another major fight on a Sunday.
After winning the WBC Cruiserweight title on Sunday, May 29, 2016 against Illunga Makabu, the 34-year-old Liverpudlian may be tasked with once again trying to beat heavyweight rival David Haye later this year.
Daily Mail sports writer Riath Al-Sammarai reported earlier today (September 19) that the long awaited rematch between the pair is set to be agreed for December 17 at London's O2 Arena.
The venue was the scene of their first fight which Bellew famously won stopping Haye in the penultimate round of their contest. After a heated build-up to the bout which saw Haye throw a punch at Bellew during a press conference the pair then traded heavy blows in the ring. The fight was marred, however, by a ruptured Achilles Tendon to Haye in round six which forced the former WBA heavyweight champion to go to war on one leg for the second half of the fight.
After a successful injury and rehabilitation Haye confirmed that he would return to the ring before the end of the year, while Bellew had been heavily linked to a fight with undisputed light heavyweight king Andre Ward who had plans to move to cruiserweight before doing a Roy Jones Jr-esque tour of the divisions culminating at heavyweight.
The Daily Mail reported that the fighters contracts for the pay-per-view sequel between Bellew and Haye could be signed next week. adding that an "imminent agreement" is "highly likely".
Haye said on Tuesday he was all set for a rematch, taking to social media to call on Bellew to sign.
“It’s taken months of negotiating but teams have finally agreed ALL terms for #HayeBellew2,” Haye said on Twitter. “Will Bellew put pen to paper?”
Eddie Hearn told Sky Sports that he hoped to confirm soon that the fight was on.
“Nothing is signed yet but I‘m catching up with Tony later this week and you can cross your fingers for an announcement in the next week or so,” he said.