No announcement yet.

Bigger quits? Can you think of any?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    When I watch Joe, I see a guy with broken hands and poor technical skills that won because he was a fighter at heart and would not be denied. Building that kind of cardio takes a lot of heart. As does never being mentally bullied or defeated. His instincts took an awkward style and made it work, through the footwork and the hands alike. Such a rare quality he had.

Loma is so disciplined and text-book, nut not in a traditional sense. He's writing new chapters in the text book. He's doing lateral footwork that Pac did. But, whereas Pac "got away with it" because of his athleticism, Loma actually does it in a precise and deliberate way.

I think Joe and Loma are special, but in very different ways.
    Damn, man. Great analysis. You made me think a lot on that one.

Comment

Even Ortiz hit the canvas before he quit in his fights. To just walk away like that, man. It wasn't as bad as No Mas because Duran was competitive and Walters wasn't, but you can't just give up like that.

Comment

If Walters had at least given it one round where he went balls to the wall trying to land on Lomachenko, then I would have been okay with quitting. He never did that. He meekly accepted getting his ass kicked for 7 rounds and then walked away.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          If Walters had at least given it one round where he went balls to the wall trying to land on Lomachenko, then I would have been okay with quitting. He never did that. He meekly accepted getting his ass kicked for 7 rounds and then walked away.
          His father said in the last round before he quit Loma hurt him with a shot to the temple that made him stop the fight. First time of adversity and he gave up. He knew next round he would have been KO'd.

Comment

The biggest one I know of was the No Mas fight, regarding Roberto Duran in his rematch with Sugar Ray Leonard. To me or at least in my opinion, that was the biggest quit job ever.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

You can always turn a fight around, especially if you have power.
              Agreed, but there wasn't any indication Walters would. To the contrary, Lomachenko was just stepping it up round by round and was rattling him around in rd 7.

It just isn't for us to decide whether he should have continued. I was disappointed he called it quits too but there's no reason to throw the word 'coward' around as the OP did.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                I generally defend guys who are damaged and at risk. I'm not one of these who call Matthysee or Ortiz cowards. I don't believe that a guy must physically be rendered unconscious for the other to win (which is something that saddens me about mma).
                However, Nick didn't even try to weather the storm. Being hurt is one thing, being frustrated is another entirely.

The fans deserve better, as did Loma.
                Oh, he tried, for 7 rounds. I don't know what you'd imagine he should have done. Lomachenko was taking over and he was actually just stepping it up further. Walters was left without any real response to what he was doing and he would have been KO'd, that's just what the evidence suggested from what we saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                  Oh, he tried, for 7 rounds. I don't know what you'd imagine he should have done. Lomachenko was taking over and he was actually just stepping it up further. Walters was left without any real response to what he was doing and he would have been KO'd, that's just what the evidence suggested from what we saw.
                  The 7th was the first round where Walters really had a rough time of it, though. He was losing the other rounds, but he didn't take a beating in the process.

Literally all he had to do was give one more round where he put his caution aside and gave a good go of it. If that doesn't work no one blames him for quitting. Instead he gave up after the very first round where Lomachenko really put it on him. Considering everything that can and has happened in boxing, I don't think this quit job is defensible. He never went out there and really tried to grab hold of the fight.

Comment

Shocking quits:
                    Obviously Duran quitting with Leonard.
                    Also Liston quitting against Ali.
                    Roger Mayweather quitting against Chavez Sr.
                    Morales quitting against Pacquiao.
                    DLH against Pacquiao.

And while not technically a fight I say Kessler quitting the super 6 tournament claiming he was having double vision after the Froch fight. All while he was driving to the conference to announce he quit.
                    Last edited by JJRod; 11-27-2016, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Tor Hamer vs Andy Ruiz, Hamer quits

IIRC Hamer quits after the 3rd round on his stool for no reason and he was up on the cards

Comment

Working...
                      X