No announcement yet.

Cotto can't escape his contract, pays GGG his 800k step aside fee

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
    I understand that, but is it really a bad thing? Most boxers end up penniless, whether or not it's exclusively their fault. I can't deny, as a Cotto fan, hoping that he ends up differently. I mean, there are no more checks after that last bell. I've seen what happens to an old boxer. It's unfair. And, at least in Cotto's case, he's trying to build businesses with his money. I just think that, from his point of view, it's not about merely attaining increased wealth for his family, but also constructing a new passion that will help ease the pain once his boxing days are gone. That's a better road to leave on.
    I wish nothing but the best for fighters leaving the game. Cotto will be fine. He has more money than he can ever spend. But the damage his kind of individual narcissism and greed did to the sport in general will not be forgotten anytime soon, and unfortunately it may have set a precedent for future "a-siders" to follow.

Great. He got paid. Fantastic. On a personal level Im glad for him. And if there was anything I could say to Miguel, it would be "ok you got your money, so please just go away now"

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
      well too bad for you being happy cuz im no kneetard.
      Yup, and I'm not a GGG fan boy

Comment

Nobody tells Cotto what to do doe! lol

Comment

Originally posted by US Dirk Killer View Post

Well, at least he still saved 300k for vacating doe
          Is this confirmed?

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
            I wish nothing but the best for fighters leaving the game. Cotto will be fine. He has more money than he can ever spend. But the damage his kind of individual narcissism and greed did to the sport in general will not be forgotten anytime soon, and unfortunately it may have set a precedent for future "a-siders" to follow.

Great. He got paid. Fantastic. On a personal level Im glad for him. And if there was anything I could say to Miguel, it would be "ok you got your money, so please just go away now"
            I don't see how it applies to him, though. Throughout his entire career, he's taken on the very best in the sport. The only possible example of a plan to the contrary that someone could argue was his deal to fight Canelo before GGG. And Canelo's clearly one of the best in the sport, so it shouldn't even apply. Financially, 30 million versus what would come of GGG's current numbers made no sense. Leaving the GGG fight for last wasn't ducking, in my opinion, just a smart strategy. Additionally, Cotto even said he was available after Canelo. I believe he would have vacated the belt and fought GGG on his own terms. That's just the kind of guy he is. He doesn't like being told what to do, but he enjoys challenges. I mean, can we blame the guy for having an exit strategy? Cotto still wants to fight the best, but he wants to make sure it also secures his future outside the sport. I can't blame him for that.

Now, someone like Mayweather, who has constantly avoided risks in favor of preserving his record, would count as an accurate example of what you said. But, he has no shame about it. At the end of the day, it's a cruel sport, and he found a way to beat the system. Plus, unfortunately, I think we'll be seeing more of him than we ever thought we would (ala Roy Jones). It has damaged the sport, but the fans let it happen. In Mayweather's case, for all the money he's making, I don't think there's anybody who truly believes he'll protect it with solid investments.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonSpinxMwfpce View Post
              Well thats dumb. If he had no intention of keeping his belt he would be $800,000 richer today. Cotto, is just a dummy who thought he was being smart by trying to prove to everyone that he was the man.
              you invest 800k to make over 15-20 mill...and then some dude decides to criticize you for making the investment...what would think of that person?!?

Comment

Working...
              X