No announcement yet.

Comparing the skills of Sugar Ray Robinson to Sugar Ray Leonard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
    so what you're saying in short is that Robinson is better at doubling and tripling up on shots with a single hand compared to Leonard?
    Yes.

Not that there was much in it. The only person I've seen better than Robinson at doubling and trippling up a left hook is prime Roy Jones. But the only people that I think are better at alternative hand combination punching than Leonard are Meldrick Taylor and again Roy Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      Yes.

Not that there was much in it. The only person I've seen better than Robinson at doubling and trippling up a left hook is prime Roy Jones. But the only people that I think are better at alternative hand combination punching than Leonard are Meldrick Taylor and again Roy Jones.

muhammad ali had the same sort of flash and speed as the men you mentioned

and joe louis in my opinion is the most devastating of all time with his combinations, if not quite as fast as all of the others mentioned with their combinations. he did not flurry, he landed bombs in combination

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        Its sad that we cant find any film of welterweight Robinson, in hindsight he might have been ridiculously fast at the weight.
        Not sure if these are legit but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qORkfNNnYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAUaUDjlcCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YxHSvwzOfI

SRR looks great in these videos.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          muhammad ali had the same sort of flash and speed as the men you mentioned

and joe louis in my opinion is the most devastating of all time with his combinations, if not quite as fast as all of the others mentioned with their combinations. he did not flurry, he landed bombs in combination

Yea, obviously up at heavyweight Ali & Louis were superb combination punchers. Patterson and Tyson too could throw combinations that were a blur too.

When I mention prime Meldrick Taylor and prime Roy Jones, these are without doubt the finest, fastest combination punchers I think I've ever seen. Some run them close like Robinson and Leonard, obviously some hit harder......but I can't think of anyone better to my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
            Genius, I'll check them out tonight......

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
              Comparing the skills of Sugar Ray Robinson to Sugar Ray Leonard
              No way.

Comment

Just check the records and that will tell you whose the best. Ray Leonard was a terrific athlete who boxed and boxed very well. Sugarman was a terrific boxer who could Fight very well! When you loose one after a 100 (fights) thats saying something, heck your sister will beat you more than once in a 100 hahahaha!!! There was no ONE man like Sugar Ray before him or since. I realize the young guys are only afforded old film to watch and get an idea of what he was all about but just look at the competitors he fought. The biggest differences from the fighters then and now is the outrageous efforts those guys put forth. I don't see that effort after the 70s and I'm not stuck in one era I'm a young soon to be 62 years old, I was raised in the sport and effort is the first thing a trainer looks at even before talent. Sugar Ray had all talent and gave effort while trying hard to maintain the concept of boxing which is "hit and not get hit"! Leonard could hit you and was good at not getting hit but Sugarman was capable of knocking fighters out when he hit. You just don't see anyone backing off and then countering with a left hook and knocking someone out! Plus he could dance! Not to good at singin maybe a little better than Smokin' Joe bless them both. Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Just check the records and that will tell you whose the best. Ray Leonard was a terrific athlete who boxed and boxed very well. Sugarman was a terrific boxer who could Fight very well! When you loose one after a 100 (fights) thats saying something, heck your sister will beat you more than once in a 100 hahahaha!!! There was no ONE man like Sugar Ray before him or since. I realize the young guys are only afforded old film to watch and get an idea of what he was all about but just look at the competitors he fought. The biggest differences from the fighters then and now is the outrageous efforts those guys put forth. I don't see that effort after the 70s and I'm not stuck in one era I'm a young soon to be 62 years old, I was raised in the sport and effort is the first thing a trainer looks at even before talent. Sugar Ray had all talent and gave effort while trying hard to maintain the concept of boxing which is "hit and not get hit"! Leonard could hit you and was good at not getting hit but Sugarman was capable of knocking fighters out when he hit. You just don't see anyone backing off and then countering with a left hook and knocking someone out! Plus he could dance! Not to good at singin maybe a little better than Smokin' Joe bless them both. Ray
                  First off, welcome to the history section.

As far as your post goes, the only thing I really disagree with is the bolded. If you're talking about the sport and its fighters as a whole Im sure you could make an argument. If you're talking about Leonard than I totally disagree. Leonard was a determined a fighter as I've ever watched and I'd say his efforts are worthy of any in history. His effort and comeback against Hearns in 1981 are the story of legend.

Comment

Ray Leonard is a special special fighter. Not many like him.

But Robinson is pretty much better in every category.

Ray Robinson is the greatest fighter ever. He's the closest thing to perfection the World has seen.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Ray Leonard is a special special fighter. Not many like him.

But Robinson is pretty much better in every category.

Ray Robinson is the greatest fighter ever. He's the closest thing to perfection the World has seen.
                      Even defense??

Comment

Working...
                      X