Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In retrospect can we say Floyd had a granite chin or that he just refused to lose?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrospect is a big word for you Larry, congrats.

But, in retrospect, Floyd's chin didn't get hit that much because under pressure he either hugged, ran or leaned back over the ropes.

When he did get properly tagged he did the chicken dance or hung on for dear life.

Comment

Good but not granite.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
        Retrospect is a big word for you Larry, congrats.

But, in retrospect, Floyd's chin didn't get hit that much because under pressure he either hugged, ran or leaned back over the ropes.

When he did get properly tagged he did the chicken dance or hung on for dear life.
        You're still sore about teh 'atton foight?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Yeah it's pretty mind boggling.

I'm not gonna pretend to be a boxing historian and act like I know from prior eras who was the best at this and that, but I find it really hard to believe that there was anybody in the entire history of the sport who was as prolific as he was from a defensive standpoint.

If he's not flat out the best defensive fighter in the history of the sport...he absolutely has to be on the short list.
          Willie Pep, Nicolino Locche and Pernell Whitaker come to mind, Willie Pep had 230+ fights and retired with all his faculties intact till his late 70s, only lost 11 fights, he was the first to do what he did, made people appreciate defense and movement. Don't think he was as complete a fighter as Mayweather was, but his defense was a sight to behold!

Comment

Floyd had a great chin. And the fact that he had great defense and was so hard to hit really helped preserve his chin.

Great chins don't hold up if you tagged too often in every fight. Look at Margarito for example.

Comment

Originally posted by larryusa View Post
              Shot that would have ko'd most fighters

The man literally refused to fold....
              Them Oxycotton doses did their job!

Comment

His chin was absolute granite, and he had the reflexes to see most shots coming. The ones that hurt the most are the ones that catch you unawares.

The Maidana shot that kinda wobbled him would have KOd 99% of all fighters.

Comment

I think it'a a combination of a very good chin, a strong will to win, and knowing how to survive when hurt.If a boxer gets hit hard enough in the right place a strong will to win won't save him from a KO loss.

Comment

That Mosley right hand the kind of punch that can make people temporarily forget their alphabet let alone how to defend themselves but before Floyd even stands up he puts his hands up to defend himself, I think that's impressive.

Comment

Great defense and great chin.. That shot Chino put on him I think would have flattened a bunch of guys... Pac got put to sleep on a similar perfect shot.. We honestly never saw him even get caught with punches of that nature before ....

Comment

Working...
                      X