No announcement yet.

Why is Eder Jofre rated so highly?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Eder Jofre rated so highly?

In no way am I suggesting he had a bad career, but it seems most people have him as one of the best fighters ever. Talent wise I wont argue against that...but I only rank fighters by the quality of their wins.

His wins over top oppoisiton are Mirandax2, Rollo, Caldwell, Aoki, Medalx2, Caraballo, and Legra.
    Vicente Saldivar was very clearly past his best and hadnt fought in over 2 years(on top of having retired once before 6 years previous), and that was his best 'name' win, so Im not sure how much credit Im supposed to give him for that.

also his fight with Legra was controversially viewed by some, but I have no idea since Ive never seen the fight.

hopefully Im not doing a desservice to him, but honestly...he lost against the best bantamweight he faced, only beat 2 title holders, only beat 1 HOF fighter(Saldivar, who I already touched on) and didnt have the longevity of other champions either.

Its not doubt a solid list of the best available to him, but I dont see how he would rank over greats like Whitaker, Leonard or Moore.

Eder Jofre may not have had the longevity of a Manuel Ortiz or a Panama Al Brown in terms of reigns.

But what Eder Jofre was, was incredibly dominant.

Just look at his Bantamweight title reign and upcoming to that, he was rarely in a disputable fight. His Bantamweight reign is the epitome of dominance, which is such a difficult task.

He beat a long list of top fighters, Top 10 and Top 5. And blew pretty much all of them away.

And his first fight with Harada was hardly a blowout, and Harada is pretty damn great.

Eder Jofre was one special fighter, to me he is lowest Top 20, like Poet touched on in the other thread. And has a very strong case for being the greatest Bantamweight of all time, an exceptionaly historical division.

He isn't Top 10 IMO, but no question is he Top 20.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Eder Jofre may not have had the longevity of a Manuel Ortiz or a Panama Al Brown in terms of reigns.

Just look at his Bantamweight title reign and upcoming to that, he was rarely in a disputable fight. His Bantamweight reign is the epitome of dominance, which is such a difficult task.

He beat a long list of top fighters, Top 10 and Top 5. And blew pretty much all of them away.

And his first fight with Harada was hardly a blowout, and Harada is pretty damn great.

Eder Jofre was one special fighter, to me he is lowest Top 20, like Poet touched on in the other thread. And has a very strong case for being the greatest Bantamweight of all time, an exceptionaly historical division.

what is Jofre's best win? at bantamweight and out of his whole career?

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
        what is Jofre's best win? at bantamweight and out of his whole career?
        In my opinion? Hmmm, I dunno.

Probably Jose Medal 2.

For starters Medal is an underrated fighter. He was considered a Top 5 Bantamweight for a considerable amount of time when there was alot fo talent there.

Medal was coming off a winning streak, was a top fighter and like I have already touched on, the way Jofre dealt with him was incredibly impressive.

An what did Medal do just 4 fights after Jofre blew him away? Beat Fighting F'ing Harada, not only beat him, but stopped him.

Like I have said already, it's how he won which is so special about Jofre. He utterly dominated top fighters during his reign, with very little bother. Jofre is quite possibly the most dominant Bantweight ever, in terms of, how.

That say's so much.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Dominance is something I really look at when making an all time great list. I've always rated Jofre around 5 which is probably higher than many others would rate him. But the fact that he was so dominant, came out of retirement to win a second title at 37 goes a long way for me. As well as his 72-2 record with one of the longest unbeaten streaks in history. The only losses to another great fighter.

That's similar to how I view Roy Jones je. Jones has tarnished his legacy a bit by fighting to long and has looked horrible in recent years. That has caused many to forget how dominant he was. If he even lost round it was shocking during his prime. And I'm not one who thinks his opposition was as bad as some people make it out to be.
          Last edited by joseph5620; 04-09-2011, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I think that quality of oppoisiton beaten is much more important than dominance.

and although Medal is certainly a good win, the guy did struggle and lose against a number of unranked guys.

Comment

I think that quality of oppoisiton beaten is much more important than dominance.

and although Medal is certainly a good win, the guy did struggle and lose against a number of unranked guys.
              It is important. But it's not like Jofre was dominating bums. Jones either.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                It is important. But it's not like Jofre was dominating bums. Jones either.
                Which is why Jofre was an excellent fighter.

but p4p top 10 all time? I just dont get that. his best win is over a guy that never found his way to a title, and had multiple losses/draws against journeymen througout his career. Hagler, for example, beat more top competition than Jofre did.

Tyson also dominated his division and cleaned out the best fighters in it without any problems. Doesnt mean hes even necessarily top 10 all time of heavyweights.

Comment

There a long list of people who struggled and lost to weaker competition at this stage of the sport.

What he did do just 4 fights later was beat Fighting Harada. And no one, no one, put a beating like that on Medel.

Comment

Which is why Jofre was an excellent fighter.

but p4p top 10 all time? I just dont get that. his best win is over a guy that never found his way to a title, and had multiple losses/draws against journeymen througout his career. Hagler, for example, beat more top competition than Jofre did.

Tyson also dominated his division and cleaned out the best fighters in it without any problems. Doesnt mean hes even necessarily top 10 all time of heavyweights.
                    You think Medel was his best win too? I thought you thought Saldivar was?

Medel is just what I personally think it is, and again, not exactly because of who, but how. Considering what he went on to do.

He didn't win a world title because at that time it was a pretty damn difficult task. The guy stopped Fighting Harada, he did pretty much everything but win a world title.

Let's not compare Tyson's reign to Jofres. I know you admit to knowing little about Jofre but seriously, lets not compare the two. It's an unreasonable comparison.
                    Last edited by IronDanHamza; 04-09-2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X