No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr. was a 1000x more entertaining than Floyd Mayweather in his prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
    Well to be specific, Trinidad was coming off a 3-year layoff and his fight with Roy was his first and only fight at super middleweight. He just was not big enough to compete at that weight. Calzaghe was the one to take all the wind out of Lacy's sails. After that, he was nothing. "Great" fighters such as Jermain Taylor, Dhafir Smith and Umberto Savigne also beat Lacy once Calzaghe was done with him. Calzhaghe is another guy Roy got dominated by. Toney also was tailor made for Jones. He wanted guys to come at him where he could lie on the ropes and counter which was the last thing Jones was going to do. Otis Grant was not a bad fighter although stiff, but Roy took care of him and he destroyed Griffin in the rematch which was impressive. However, before his prime was over, he faced superstars Richard Frazier, old Reggie Johnson, David Telesco, Richard Hall, Eric Harding, Derrick Harmon, Gonzalez, Glen Kelly and Clinton Woods. Sure, all big names. Roy Jones sidestepped tougher fights to play around on top of the p4p lists, abusing the privilege often given to fighters like himself since the boxing p4p world seems obsessed with having an American on top, just like today.
    Roy would've destroyed Calzaghe in his prime. A 40 year old Roy dropped Calzaghe in the first round, he didn't have the stamina. Roy's losses came when he was passed his prime. Roy beat Eric Harding who beat Tarver though, Tarver's no scrub. Roy beat Clinton Woods who defeated Glen Johnson & Gonzalez and Gonzalez beat Glen Johnson and Dariusz. Roy gave fighters their first loss. I'm not sure who Roy sidestepped, he made guys look like they were nothing.
    Last edited by Dachozen1; 01-24-2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Mayweather has had some very entertaining fights. Problem is ppl seem to think 147 was his prime. Really wasn't. And even at 147 he has had some entertaining fights. Cotto, Hatton, Maidana 1.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
        Eh. I never saw that much to be impressed with. Seems like he got more out of antics like putting his hands behind his back before knocking out the one guy or wearing a microphone while he fought some other guy or playing basketball the same day he fought some other guy. When he finally stepped up and took on Tarver, he got jacked. He said after ward "This is what I get for giving the fans what they want." Not the mark of a great fighter who cared about legacy. I mean, he beat a drained James Toney, an over-the-hill Virgil Hill, John Ruiz(who didn't beat John Ruiz?), Montell Griffin(never impressed with him), an over-the-hill Vinny Pazienza, an old Mike McCallum. I give him credit for Trinidad and the first Hopkins fight, but he was way overhyped. Don't forget that Glen Johnson iced him too an Johnson was never known for his power.

He will get in the HOF, but I'm not so sure he deserves it based on accomplishments. Plus, he never even had a jab, which is the most important punch in the sport.
        I was shaking my head while reading the first part of your post, but then when you mentioned that bold part I couldn't help but facepalm so hard I got sent to the ER.

How is the Trinidad win in any way, shape, or form significant. An over-the-hill, inactive, fighting two weight classes above his highest weight fighter...

This would be akin to Ricky Hatton coming back after all these years and fighting at 160 against someone like Lemieux. Do you see how asinine the concept seems?

Jones, Jr. fans got all excited over this win and thought he was going to run through Calzaghe. Reality set in really quick.

Reed's gonna' hate me for this, but I needed to say it.
        Last edited by TintaBoricua; 01-24-2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I am a huge fan of both and both are entertaining in different ways

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
            I was shaking my head while reading the first part of your post, but then when you mentioned that bold part I couldn't help but facepalm so hard I got sent to the ER.

How is the Trinidad win in any way, shape, or form significant. An over-the-hill, inactive, fighting two weight classes above his highest weight fighter...

This would be akin to Ricky Hatton coming back after all these years and fighting at 160 against someone like Lemieux. Do you see how asinine the concept seems?

Jones, Jr. fans got all excited over this win and thought he was going to run through Calzaghe. Reality set in really quick.

Reed's gonna' hate me for this, but I needed to say it.
            Dang, man. Don't slap yourself so hard. Didn't mean to break your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by mortal7 View Post
              Can anybody deny this? I think it's just a straight up fact.

http://youtu.be/KPU5qFJAJGg

Also has a better resume.

Comment

Obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                  Relevancy of response to my comment: 8%.
                  THIS! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Brickyardigan View Post
                    THIS! LOL!
                    Wonder what would be the look on your face when you reach the 7th post on page 2. would you still "LOL" ?

Comment

Working...
                    X