Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people believe pure boxers can't Street Fight...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMD3 View Post
    The thing is, if someone is experienced in boxing but has no groundfighting experience, and the fight goes to the ground, then that person is going to be in trouble.
    and unless the first punch the boxer throws is extremely lucky, it WILL go to the ground. Traditional boxing footwork is the absolute opposite of what you want when someone is allowed to kick or grab your legs.

I don't know why this bothers people. The same applies to MMA fighters. If they were up against an equally skilled athlete who also trained in groin shots, eye gouges and small joint injuries, they would be in a pretty bad situation. Knowing how to do something your opponent has never trained to defend=winning.
    Last edited by ////; 11-19-2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Anyone engaged in contact sport can street fight, whatever style they have. Even many regular people can street fight. What's the fuss?

If this is about glorifying runners, clinchers and survivalist fighters, forget it. They can take all the time in the world posing, waiting to counter, in a street fight, but this is a boxing business. They get paid to entertain people, not bore them to death.

Comment

Originally posted by S.I.M.P View Post
        It only takes one accurate punch to KO someone.....most of these boxing guys grew up street fighting and younger ages...one timely punch right to the jaw and booooooooommmm your Knock the F out...

PS these guys are athletes they won't get tired after 4 swings in a street fight. ...
        - The people who claim boxers cant street fight, are most likely internet fighters...who have never had a fight and dont know how it feels to get punched in the face. Trust me man you get hit with a 3 punch combo jab, straight, hook.....dont matter if your MMA/wrestler/grappler...you will be vey hesitant to try and come inside and try and wrestle/grapple.

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post
          Anyone engaged in contact sport can street fight, whatever style they have. Even many regular people can street fight. What's the fuss?

If this is about glorifying runners, clinchers and survivalist fighters, forget it. They can take all the time in the world posing, waiting to counter, in a street fight, but this is a boxing business. They get paid to entertain people, not bore them to death.
          I used to work with a fella trained by ticky Donovan. He told me a wee story about him.
          There was a party going on down the street into the early hours. Ticky knocked at the door & asked them to keep it down. The party goers got nasty & it kicked off. When the police turned up there was a few of them spitting teeth & ticky was arrested. At court the judge threw it out & said something about if Donovan was a nasty guy he'd have killed them. He was a black belt something Dan in karate & GB coach
          Last edited by ukbox; 11-19-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Everyone arguing against the TS is proving the point in my first post. They keep talking about "they can't move, they can't box," like that's all they would try to do. Like a pro boxer is somehow unable to fight like anyone else.

Guess what? They can, and they can do it a hell of a lot better than you.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSD View Post
              yeah but in a street fight all that goes out the window. The boxer is gonna have to look out for grabbing, kicking. u think in a street fight, the person u're fighting is gonna just stand there and try to take turns trading with u?
              No but the boxer can beat yo ass and pick up weapons, kick,grab too......Anything can happen in a fight but the trained fighter has a big advantage

Comment

Originally posted by Cruisin' View Post
                Because I've tried my boxing at an mma/boxing gym and it literally doesn't work. "Slick elusive" footwork does not allow you to defend against takedowns.

It's like trying to play golf with a tennis racket.

Boxers can train in something else and win a fight. They're strong athletes. You just can't go into a "real" fight expecting your opponent will just box with you.

Everyone is excited about that Holm vs Rousey fight but Holm won it by defending takedowns and a KO kick. She just filled in the clock with boxing. If she went in there as a boxer without training in grappling defense and reversing Ronda's takedowns 3-4 times, she would have lost embarrassingly.
                Not to mention, Ronda aint really a complete MMA fighter. The girl never been in any combat competition. The closer thing she came to that was winning 3rd place in the olympic for judo. That other chick Holm has like what 30 something wins in pro boxing.

Comment

how is this even debateable. Of course someone who has trained boxing will have an advantage over an untrained person in a fight.

Such small things as throwing straight punches, proper stance, actual stamina...

Boxing helped my confidence so much. I am a wiry guy but a few years of hitting the heavy bag and sparring means I can pretty much spark any randomer out.

Also notice in street fights how they lean back so much because they're scared to get hit... a boxer isn't going to turn away and shut his eyes to a punch

And if they try to go for a "takedown" or whatever just rock them when they inevitably leave themselves wide open.
                  Last edited by Tommy88; 11-20-2015, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X