Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

floyd mayweather jr- what more could he have done?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
    Still no reply. Again, facts are facts!

Comment

• Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
      Still no reply. Again, facts are facts!
      Except when their not

Comment

• Originally posted by LaidOut View Post
        Never challenged himself. That's why he'll never be remembered that well. He had a masterful way of stinking up the joint with his presence.
        in ten years he went through gatti, judah, de la hoya, marquez, mosley, ortiz, cotto, guerrero, canelo, maidana, pacquiao, berto, etc and won every single fight.

please name another fighter during that ten years that went undefeated with a more impressive resume.

i'll wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by AliBombaye View Post
          1. Fight guys in or at least near their PRIME
          2. No catch weights
          3. Let fighters wear their own choice of gloves as long as it's legal
          4. No illegal IVs at home

With that being said I do miss the whole event that comes with a Floyd fight.

I don't care if Victor Ortiz, Berto, Robert Guerro are 'World Level' or hold belts, we all knew the outcome of those fight.

Floyd's best wins are Hernandez, Diego Corrales, Ricky Hatton. NO ONE come up with chit like Mosley, DLH etc cuz we all know where they were in their career when losing to Floyd.

Compares Floyd's best wins to Manny or BHOP, not even close son.

Floyd had ATG skills but didn't test himself near enough, he is ATG top 50.
          The only true challenge he took was Corrales. Hatton had already looked like absolute garbage at 147, so to list him as a challenge, fighting him at 147 isn't really fair.

He had the chance to have quite a few great names on his resume in their primes or closer to them.

Cotto is a great example. He had a chance to fight Cotto before he fought Margarito.

Had a chance to fight Tszyu, there was an entire year where they were both champions. He made no attempts to unify.

He had a chance to fight both an undefeated Joel Casamayor, and an undefeated Acelino Freitas. There was an entire year where they were all champions at 130lb, and an Floyd did not attempt to unify, while Casamayor and Freitas did.

Then the big elephant in the room. He waited for pacquiao to not only lose, he waited for him to get knocked out to make that fight happen. Almost 6 years he waited on that fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by djtmal View Post
            Floyd is a beast, nobody is denying that, but Floyd don't get style points for not beating fighters who imo weren't at the peak of their powers...

above that, and this is what kills me, why you Floyd cats can't live with the knocks on him that are pretty universal, and get so damn touchy and regurgitate the same lame excuses for why certain things didn't happen at certain timelimes in his career...I and a lot of people who share my way of dissecting boxing legacy, don't care much about how many fringe champs he beat or who is p4p, especially in this watered down era, but who he beat and when...even Floyd publicly said a belt don't make him, that means he knows what really matters, yet you sensitive cats love to hang onto how many belts he collected...pay attention to whats going on in the sport right now and what constitutes who is where in the grand scheme of lineage, hierarchy, and legacy....

when srl beat hearns, both of those guys where at their peak of their powers and can't nobody say s**t about it, same thing with roy and james toney/hopkins, Trinidad and De La/Vargas, Hopkins and Tito/Tarver, Whitaker vs. McGhirt/Chavez/Roger Mayweather, hell even Chavez vs. prime Meldrick Taylor...all of these fights went down at the timeline they were supposed to, with NO EXCUSES....no Olympic style testing and two numbnuts arguing over whose to blame for 9 f**king years like in this day and age of boxing...

Pretty Boy Floyd, yeah he was a f**king beast and its was all there for him to surpass srl, marv, roy, etc. but man after Floyd beat Hatton, he could have lined up Cotto, Marg, Shane, Pac, when all of those guys were still in beast mode, but what he do?...he stepped off the scene for what, two years and let everybody he should have fought closer to their primes duke it out...that was a decision FLOYD made as he likes to say he's his own boss, but you dudes want to blame everybody but him, but legacy wise it imo put him levels below the fab four and a few others, and in a position where we wonder what if, or what more as the basis of this thread is about, and it seems like the consensus amongst the unbiased is consistant...just deal with it and stop making excuses....
            This. These dudes think people are just hating on Floyd. Floyd was a great fight, he could have won all of the fights against these guys in their prime, but the fact is that he chose to wait them out and take the fights when they were less risky. Also coming up there were a lot of really really good fights that he didn't fight.

He made ZERO attempts to unify and divisions until he reached 147lb.

He spent more than 3 years as champion at 130lb. Had chances to unify with Joel Casamayor, and Acelino Freitas, both of whom were absolute animals at the time and both of whom were undefeated. He didn't do it.

He just avoided risk where possible. Great for career longevity, bad for looking at his career in retrospect.

That doesnt say anything about his actual skill level, just what he was willing to risk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motofan View Post
              I like Floyd so this is not a dig, but since you asked

1) Fought Manny closer to his prime (blame to go around I know)
              2) Fought a prime Cotto
              3) Challenge himself in the later years. The Ghost, Berto and Ortiz were the best he could do? (Canelo was a legit win, and a great one, but these other clowns...)
              4) Just to be hypercritical he could have also done more to put on a show. Not necessarily put himself in harms way, because why would he? But he had shown in the past what he is able to do when he lets his hands go. He had the chance to grow boxing rather than be its best salesman. I know its not his job to grow the sport, but thats the point of this thread right?
              5) Fought a prime Margarito
              6) Cure HIV (as previously stated.)

So that's a start.
              Even Canelo while a good win that I give him credit for, was a carefully timed fight. He picked to fight him while he was still green, but just starting to look dangerous to the public.

He'd still probably beat this version of canelo. But the version that Floyd fought would have gotten dismantled by Cotto as well. He just wasn't the developed, and didn't have a very big bag of tricks.

Comment

• Originally posted by larry x.. View Post
                Prime Margo fight didnt happen due to Arum, Floyd wanted a guaranteed shot at Oscar and Arum said it wasnt in the cards

Prime Mosley did not give Floyd a shot and Floyd had been calling him out since Floyd was at 135..it is well documented

Prime Pac refused drug testing and the fight was scapped in 2010..also well documented

Cotto was at the Gatti fight and hi team said he was not ready for Floyd..after that Cotto himself said he never chased a Floyd fight

Williams-when was that fight even possible to be honest??

why is Floyd always blamed for fights not happening even when he clearly was chasing certain fights? and then people act like when he fought those fighters he himself did not age and was even older then Pac and Cotto...They were all champions when he fought them and most were even on top of the p4p list
                Because it takes effort to stay in a division for 3 years with fights who are trying to unify, and manage to no unify.

Comment

• Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
                  Floyd had an incredible career. Only gripe I have is that he retired for awhile while Cotto, Margarito, and Williams looked great. I would've loved for him to fight those guys after his Oscar or Hatton victory.

I don't blame him solely on the Pacquiao fight not happening for so long, there were too many cooks in that kitchen and both wanted to be the A-side. Both refused to budge on their demands.
                  They both probably think they did the right thing, but the fight would have been SOOO much bigger and they both would have made more money if they made it happen when literally everyone was talking about.

There was a time when people i knew who didn't even follow boxing AT ALL where asking me when pacquiao and floyd were fighting.

That is the most coverage I have ever seen for a fight that didn't happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
                    One of the things that was always funny to me is how people blame Floyd individually for not fighting prime Mosley, DLH, Cotto, and Pac. In all of those scenarios both fighters were involved in holding the fight up.

Mosley said he had to go to the dentist during his "prime" to fix his tooth in a post-fight interview and couldn't fight Floyd.

DLH always ignored Floyd until he didn't.

Cotto and Arum sat ringside during the Brusels and Gatti fight and basically opted against fighting Floyd at the time. Promotional issues ensued (Floyd wouldn't work with TR after buying out of his contract) and then Cotto lost a couple of times

Pac was afraid of needles and giving blood weakened him. We're also still waiting for that outdoor stadium to be built by Bob Arum.

The only fights I wish Floyd would've taken was PWill (147) and Tszyu (140). Every other fight he took was a good fight. Floyd lacks the statement win in his resume, but that is only because he didn't have an equally great opponent during his career at his weight class. Obv. Mosley, DLH, Cotto, and Pac are all great fighters and HOF'ers, but I don't consider any of them truly special. Snippets of those fighters were special, prime DLH, Pac at 135 and below, pre-Margs Cotto, etc...but each guy really faded in my mind. Pac has only 2-3 wins worth considering following his leap to 147 and he did all of this by avoiding PED tests for years. Not even his Bacne could help him vs Floyd. Prime DLH beats Floyd, but that is DLH's fault for letting himself slide as much as he did and **** the bed when he held ALL the cards in their mega-fight. DLH controlled the weight, the gloves Floyd fought with, and the size of the ring. DLH **** the bed in that one. Cotto's trainer not identifying plaster wraps was the ultimately the undoing of Cotto. Sad story :/
                    Nobody blamed him for not fighting prime Mosley or Oscar. Their primes at their respective weights did not match up. There was a small opportunity for a Mosley fight at the tail end of mosleys 135lb run, but he jumped up to 147 pretty early into Floyd having a title at 135lb.

Oscar was already at 147, so you can't blame him. Also, Oscar was the money man sooo....

But with Cotto, Pacquiao, Tsyzu, Casamayor, and Freitas you can blame him.

You can also blame him for sitting out 2 years when things really heated up in his division.

That wasn't on accident.

That retirement was so fake...

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                      They both probably think they did the right thing, but the fight would have been SOOO much bigger and they both would have made more money if they made it happen when literally everyone was talking about.

There was a time when people i knew who didn't even follow boxing AT ALL where asking me when pacquiao and floyd were fighting.

That is the most coverage I have ever seen for a fight that didn't happen.
                      I'm inclined to agree. Plus, the chance of a rematch would've been much greater because of them being so much younger

Comment

Working...
                      X