Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Khan showing that fighters can pick who they fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ko King 212 View Post
    Promoters work for fighters. Not the other way around.
    Untrue, fighters work for the promoters. Once they've got the contract the promoter decides who they fight, they can block any fight they choose to.

Comment

is this ts new to boxing or what? khan wanted bradley. the feeling is not mutual. what then? fans wanted prescott for khan. khan says no, thank you. what then. what's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
        I here a lot of **** on boxing scene about it's the promoters of certain fighters that choose their fights ,whether it's a shot somebody,or a cheater or,an old man.Then have the nerve to put that **** on ppv.

But if all the talk is true,Khan wants to fight Bradley & he's trying to make the fight happen.That's very commendable.But if that is true,then if a fighter wanted to fight the best fighters instead of cherrypicked home cooking,he could indeed make it happen.Boxing scene's thoughts on this.
        I was one of the people that said this because it's true.

I work at a gym and see many pro's. While some fighters at the elite level like Mayweather, Pac, DLH etc got to pick and choose who they wanted to fight, the rest don't.

They might say they want to fight such and such but in reality, it's the managers job to determine what is the best fight for that fighters career.

It's the reason they have MANAGERS....lol

Fighters don't go around just picking and choosing who they want to fight if their managers and promoters don't advise them of it. IDK the specifics of the Bradley v Khan fight but I do know that Bradley was promised 1.3 million to fight whoever in his next fight so it sounds to me like they figured why pass up 1.3 million and then get another 1.4 million for fighting Khan?

Might sound like ducking to most but to me it sounds like his MANAGER advised him to make the most money.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Grimes View Post
          Untrue, fighters work for the promoters. Once they've got the contract the promoter decides who they fight, they can block any fight they choose to.
          So thats why margarito fought paul will when bob told him not to?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
            I was one of the people that said this because it's true.

I work at a gym and see many pro's. While some fighters at the elite level like Mayweather, Pac, DLH etc got to pick and choose who they wanted to fight, the rest don't.

They might say they want to fight such and such but in reality, it's the managers job to determine what is the best fight for that fighters career.

It's the reason they have MANAGERS....lol

Fighters don't go around just picking and choosing who they want to fight if their managers and promoters don't advise them of it. IDK the specifics of the Bradley v Khan fight but I do know that Bradley was promised 1.3 million to fight whoever in his next fight so it sounds to me like they figured why pass up 1.3 million and then get another 1.4 million for fighting Khan?

Might sound like ducking to most but to me it sounds like his MANAGER advised him to make the most money.
            Thanks for the post,it seems accurate & knowledgeable.So for the most part,superstar fighters have the ability to choose more or less who they fight.But most are also advised as who they should fight as well.Star fighters who are not considered superstars & may be dangerous to superstar fighters also have a harder time getting the break through fights they want because the managers of the superstar fighters advise against it.Is that more or less how it goes??

Comment

Sure, the fighters can say I want opponent A or B or whoever. Once the promoter puts the figures down and shows them what they will be making fighting opponent A versus opponent B, the financial aspect usually wins out in the end. If a promoter consistently lands you multi-million dollar paydays, are you gonna start bucking his way of doing business or just go with the flow?

Furthermore, it's the promoters who make the fighters sign contracts not the fighters making the promoters sign contracts...that gives the promoters certain rights and privledges as part of their deal. You sign MY contract and I'LL get you fights and exposure....the fine print likely stipulates that the promoters have the final say because they have to often put up their own money to make some of the fights happen.
              Last edited by mathed; 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

It’s usually the promoter’s job to get the fights for their fighter, so for at least the first 10-15 fights on average I would say it’s more of the promoter’s job.

A lot of boxers even say it in their interviews after fight. However once a fighter becomes well known and is knowledgeable enough about the fight game they usually end up picking their own fights down the line.

Comment

Might as well just pull a floyd mayweather and stay undefeated by avoiding every challenge and wait til they eliminate each other. (Cotto, Margarito, and then after Marquez is done with Pac)

Comment

Originally posted by pacfan View Post
                    is this ts new to boxing or what? khan wanted bradley. the feeling is not mutual. what then? fans wanted prescott for khan. khan says no, thank you. what then. what's the point?
                    I don't think you underSTANd. Khan and Bradley both want the fight, but if he signs now it will extend his contract with Shaw. Khan doesn't give a **** and wants to play the role of "guy who isn't ducking" simply because the position Bradley is in lets him. Kind of a ***** move. Khan is the truth, but he doesn't need to be acting like he is taking all comers when that really isn't the case.

I liken it to a guy talking **** about someone while they're behind bars. The guy behind bars cant really do anything except wait his time out and come out swingin when he is free.

Comment

Working...
                    X