No announcement yet.

Top 10 p4p hardest hitters of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    Yes they were according to what his sister said.
    Do you have a source for that? McClellan did tell the doctors of his headaches after the fight http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/b...t-1575161.html

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      and you're implying what, exactly?
      I was implying what you think I was implying although it was purely in jest. I couldn't resist with the way you worded it.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
        It is hard to do power p4p, what about do it per division?

Anyway I'd probably say that Naseem Hamed was the hardest punching featherweight in history, even ahead of Sandy Saddler. I think Marciano who was similar weight to Dempsey punched harder than Dempsey. The hardest punching heavyweights in history are probably Shavers, Foreman and maybe Wlad Klitschko and a few others are not too far behind.

The way Duran's power carried up in weight was pretty remarkable. Also Edwin Valero, Bob Satterfield?
        I hope that's a joke. Hamed as well but that's a little less funny.

Comment

Do you have a source for that? McClellan did tell the doctors of his headaches after the fight http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/b...t-1575161.html
          There are plenty of sources quoting her but I am on my phone. You should have no problems finding it yourself.

What exactly was the point of the link you posted? It doesn't prove or disprove anything that has been said.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
            I hope that's a joke. Hamed as well but that's a little less funny.
            Neither were jokes. If it amused you then great.

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            There are plenty of sources quoting her but I am on my phone. You should have no problems finding it yourself.

What exactly was the point of the link you posted? It doesn't prove or disprove anything that has been said.
            I can't find a source for it, that is why I asked you. Surely you know where you got that claim from?

Surely the point was obvious, that it could be the original source for the headaches claim.

Comment

Valero, Shavers, Jackson, Hearns, Foreman, Hamed, Duran, Hagler, Dempsey and the utterly lethal Ketchel...that will do me.

Comment

Neither were jokes. If it amused you then great.

I can't find a source for it, that is why I asked you. Surely you know where you got that claim from?

Surely the point was obvious, that it could be the original source for the headaches claim.
                Who did Valero knock out to be considered one of the greatest punchers of all time? Hamed too?

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                  Who did Valero knock out to be considered one of the greatest punchers of all time? Hamed too?
                  Sorry I didn't realize you had to knock out someone with a great name to have had power. I forgot the strength of punching power was measured by the greatness of the opponent knocked out...

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    I think there might be a slight difference considering Eubank actually knocked out Watson whereas McClellean wasn't knocked out or even dropped by a single blow.

When fighters have died in the ring or been brain damaged, how many times did it happen in the manner McClellan did. This obviously wasn't your average case.

Your last sentence is exactly what others are doing, expressing their thoughts on what might have happened. Neither you or anyone else has any idea what actually happened other than speculation.

I myself, I think the damage was done before he got to Benn and was only a matter of time before the tragic ending would happen.

To be fair Watson wasn't knocked out by Eubank. He was dropped by a savage uppercut which to most was the blow that caused the damage. He clearly wasn't coherent at the start of the following round (wouldn't even meet in the middle of the ring to touch gloves). The ref stepped in after a volley of blows whilst Watson was still on his feet.

But to be fair any serious blow can cause a brain bleed, whether it be a knockout blow or earlier on in a contest. I'd go so far as to wager that in McClellan's case the damage had been done prior to round six because that was the first round that I noticed the errant blinking.....even had Gerald knocked out Benn (as he nearly did in round 8), I think he'd have still suffered a similar fate.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                      ...Remember its p4p so there shouldn't be many if any HW in there...
                      Pound-for-pound means "regardless of weight class" and as such, limiting the inclusion of any weight class (incl. HW) is disingenuous. You can, however, reasonably request the exclusion of HW's altogether.

That said, I'll go with the posted title (top 10) of the thread. If my selection seems a bit "top-heavy," it's because the iconic punchers of the manly art tend to reside in the HW division.
                      1. Mike Tyson
                      2. George Foreman
                      3. Joe Louis
                      4. Carlos Zárate
                      5. Julian Jackson
                      6. Earnie Shavers
                      7. Rubén Olivares
                      8. Nigel Benn
                      9. Sonny Liston
                      10. Thomas Hearns
                      Last edited by Panamaniac; 12-28-2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X