No announcement yet.

RJ Perspective...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
    on his best day... at his peak??? Who actually BEATS him at 160 - 168???????
    There's a good few candidates, but I wouldn't have favoured anyone.

Who would you pick?

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
      Yeah, all credit to Vinny.

He even complained when the ref stopped the fight.

A true warrior.

He moved up from LW to do something that guys like Calzaghe would never have done.
      Agreed! Paz was a great warrior!

Comment

There's a good few candidates, but I wouldn't have favoured anyone.

Who would you pick?
        I would say for different reasons that at 160 Nunn would have the most realistic chance...at 168 I would think many would point to McCellan but I can never overlook G getting outboxed and somewhat neutralized by GOOD and tricky boxers like Dennis Milton and Ralph Ward but, of course, they werent "ROY" tricky and didnt have the power like RJ carried at the weight to keep someone like G honest...

Comment

on his best day... at his peak??? Who actually BEATS him at 160 - 168???????
          Only Jehovah and Jesus

Comment

I would say for different reasons that at 160 Nunn would have the most realistic chance...at 168 I would think many would point to McCellan but I can never overlook G getting outboxed and somewhat neutralized by GOOD and tricky boxers like Dennis Milton and Ralph Ward but, of course, they werent "ROY" tricky and didnt have the power like RJ carried at the weight to keep someone like G honest...
            Yeah, I agree regarding Nunn.

A lot of people do mention Gerald, and Jackson too. But I think Nunn, and at 154 when Roy was just starting out, Tommy Hearns and Mike McCallum. But again, I wouldn't have favoured anyone.

Don't forget to ask him about his plans to write his autobiography.

I've been waiting and wondering for YEARS! Ha!

Cheers Ice.

Comment

Yes, it was Sky Sports - The SMW's.

Eubank said it would have been suicide fighting Roy in his prime, and he'd only have taken the fight if Roy had become his mandatory. Which of course would never have happened. I doubt Roy would have featured anywhere in the WBO's ratings.
              Eubank would have got beat pretty bad.

Calzaghe and Hopkins didnt grow a pair until Jones was lost those fights past 35 years old

Calzaghe was just fine fighting nobodies in wales at 168 and Hopkins was fine fighting willie bo james and no names

Comment

Yeah, I agree regarding Nunn.

A lot of people do mention Gerald, and Jackson too. But I think Nunn, and at 154 when Roy was just starting out, Tommy Hearns and Mike McCallum. But again, I wouldn't have favoured anyone.

Don't forget to ask him about his plans to write his autobiography.

I've been waiting and wondering for YEARS! Ha!

Cheers Ice.
                Michael Nunn was the truth and Toney was getting thorouhly beaten until the knockdowns

Stylistically in the early to mid 90s, Nunn had the best chance of upsetting Jones. He was tall, a southpaw, reminded me of a middleweight Ali until drugs took over....what a waist...IMO he beats all the middleweights of this era and Hopkins era too, including Hopkins who struggled with fighters his size or larger with speed and skills

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  Eubank would have got beat pretty bad.

Calzaghe and Hopkins didnt grow a pair until Jones was lost those fights past 35 years old

Calzaghe was just fine fighting nobodies in wales at 168 and Hopkins was fine fighting willie bo james and no names
                  I agree, although I don't know if Roy would have beaten Eubank pretty bad. I think it would have been a pretty uneventful fight with Roy winning a decision.

Yes, Joe was more than happy to repeatedly defend his WBO, SMW belt until his final year.

According to HBO's Mark Taffet, Hopkins was offered $6m in 2002, for a 168 CW.

Both of those guys were scavengers.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    Michael Nunn was the truth and Toney was getting thorouhly beaten until the knockdowns

Stylistically in the early to mid 90s, Nunn had the best chance of upsetting Jones. He was tall, a southpaw, reminded me of a middleweight Ali until drugs took over....what a waist...IMO he beats all the middleweights of this era and Hopkins era too, including Hopkins who struggled with fighters his size or larger with speed and skills
                    Yes, Nunn was great. A lot of people mention Hagler, but I definitely think Nunn would have been Roy's worst match up at MW. It's a shame how his career turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcal26 View Post
                      We got these fcking idiots in here talking about Floyd and Manny in a RJJ thread?

Get the fck outta here.
                      Yep, some things never change.

Comment

Working...
                      X