No announcement yet.

Do you guys think if Norton met Shavers from 73-76, he'd have won

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys think if Norton met Shavers from 73-76, he'd have won

Shavers KO'd Norton in 1979, when Norton was passed it. But what about if Shavers fought the Norton that faced Muhammad Ali 2 times in a row? (or up to 1976 if you want that to be your criteria.)

I think Shavers would have KO'd Norton from the first 2 Ali fights, a prime Norton. I can't see any version of Norton lasting 12-15 rounds with Shavers. I think he'd get KO'd within 5 rounds.

Norton's weakness was against punchers, if you could crack you could break Notron.

Comment

No two ways about it, Norton is the more skilled and has the better resume. But short of him pulling a 'Jerry Quarry' on Shavers and stopping him early you have to fancy that at some point Shavers would connect and more than likely stop him.

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
        Norton's weakness was against punchers, if you could crack you could break Notron.
        It had a lot to do with Norton's style of fighting. He had a weird style that was designed to defuze slick boxers by taking away their jabs and it did that very well. It came at a steep price though: It left Norton wide open to anyone who could attack him straight on and if that fighter had big power it equaled a short night with Norton in dreamland.

Comment

Yeah, like when he fought Foreman.

Comment

If Ken could drag Earnie in deep water, maybe he could pull the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              It had a lot to do with Norton's style of fighting. He had a weird style that was designed to defuze slick boxers by taking away their jabs and it did that very well. It came at a steep price though: It left Norton wide open to anyone who could attack him straight on and if that fighter had big power it equaled a short night with Norton in dreamland.
              This is very,very true.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                True,the crossed arm crab defense while dragging the back foot worked wonders against the jab, but to employ it properly one has to have a good chin ala Big George or The Old Mongoose Archie Moore.

And if not one would be wise to steer clear of punchers as that defense blocks the vision somewhat.

Comment

Working...
                X