Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not very.

Hagler won clearly.

Comment

I think I scored it 9=5=1 even for marvin. Duran was crafty competive but simply did not match marvins work rate. The timing of the fight was at marvin's physical peak in 83. Some times he was somewhat reluctant but when he let his hands go this version of marvin just had more speed then the 87 version that fought Leonard. That having been said Duran was effective with counter rights and on the scorecards I believe was leading after 13 rounds coming back strong at that period of the fight. Marvin just outworked a tired Duran in the 14 and 15th.

Although not a alltime classic it was an entertaining chess match with enough action involved. Marvin always respected Duran for being the first Name fighter to challenge him and get that first multimillion dollar fight.

Comment

if we were to hide the names of both fighters, we would see a one sided fight for the taller boxer..

Comment

While I think they are both among the all-time greats, I think Hagler made it a closer fight, in a manner similar to his giving up the first four rounds to Leonard. It is odd to say, I think that Hagler was susceptible to being "star struck" by fighting a legend. When criticized for his performance against Duran I remember Hagler saying something like, "Hey, I just beat a living legend." I remember at one point Duran landed 2-3 straight right hand leads that made Hagler go backwards. That was first time I ever saw him in a retreat of any significance. I just think he gave Duran too much respect.

If Hearns had fought a normal fight, i.e., not forcing the action with Hagler, I think that Hagler may also have shown Hearns too much respect and the fight would have been much closer.

I love all these guys [except Leonard] and hate to be too critical but Hagler should have whooped Duran pretty easily, IMHO.

Comment

Not very close... Duran lasted, and made hagler work, and frustrated him but it was a clear haggler win..

15 rounds i gave haggler around 9 or 10 of them... Duran showed his class and skill in spurts but hagler was just too much.. Similar to holyfield-foreman, where foreman performed much better than expected.. Same thing with duran.. but still clear win for marvin

Comment

it was close till the last couple of rounds, thought the rounds were easy enough to score, also thought hagler only won because duran was old and tired, he was outboxing him before that

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                if we were to hide the names of both fighters, we would see a one sided fight for the taller boxer..
                one sided isnt the right term here, that indicates that one guy was never in the fight and Duran was always in it. He showed great skill and heart and even power, pushing Hagler back with some combinations. It was hard to call a winner before the beginning of the championship rounds.

Comment

It was a clear win for hagler but still a very impressive performance from Duran who gave him a hard fight

Comment

I really didn't think it was close.

Duran fought well all things considered, but I had it 10-4-1 Hagler.

Comment

The fight was not close. It was another Goldberg effect. Duran's boxing skills were probably not underrated anymore after this affair. He was competitive but never a threat to win.

Comment

Working...
                      X