No announcement yet.

Who were the most one-dimensional ATG's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick Fury View Post
    Agreed....Roy is far from one dimensional.

I have to go with Joe Frazier. Ridiculous left hook, but unfortunately that's really all he had.
    Ridiculous. Joe had good head movement, good stamina, decent speed, could cut the ring off and had a decent chin with plenty of heart, not a one dimensional fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
      Ridiculous. Joe had good head movement, good stamina, decent speed, could cut the ring off and had a decent chin with plenty of heart, not a one dimensional fighter.
      you were right about all those things, but he was one dimensional. As we saw what happens when he comes up against a guy like Foreman, no plan B.

multi dimensional is a guy like Leonard or Roy Jones, has something to bring to the table against all type of styles.

Comment

Originally posted by Royalty View Post
        What about me makes me seem miserable? I just think that saying Frazier's left hook wasn't that good is laughable.

Louis consistently fought top 10 ranked opponents in his career. Just because they couldn't beat him doesn't mean they weren't good fighters.

So you're saying that you'd only excuse a fighter from losing if he was blind or heavily sedated? Wow..
        guys like Tony Galento made up the top 10. I rate Louis high because at the time, those were the top dogs, and he handled them for a long period of time. But don't kid yourself, they weren't world beaters.
        Last edited by them_apples; 03-11-2010, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          guys like Tony Galento made up the top 10. I rate Louis high because at the time, those were the top dogs, and he handled them for a long period of time. But don't kid yourself, they weren't world beaters.
          The same can be said in almost every other heavyweight era to, no?

Comment

I hate to say it because I love the man but Frazier. Yes he was amazing at what he did but like others before me have said he had no plan b. Great head movement, amazing left hook, could cut off the ring, but there was not plan b. Not to say he wasn't great as few men could get past plan a but there was no plan b.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              The same can be said in almost every other heavyweight era to, no?
              no doubt, the HW division has had a bleak running aside from it's few strong points.

The HW division really only was solid from the the late 60's (mostly when Ali came on the scene) to the 90's. right now we are right back where we were before. One dude (in this case 2) beating all the other bums. It's really bum of the month club right now.
              Last edited by them_apples; 03-11-2010, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Of course, in the 80s guys like Tony Tubbs and Trevor Berbick routinely made the top-10. Even in the Golden Age of the 70s Heavys a tub of goo like Buster Mathis made the top-10.

Poet

Comment

Except Mathis was a legitimately skilled heavyweight who was alot more athletic than his appearance would tell you.The only thing you can knock Mathis about is his weight.

I personally wouldn't do such a thing as the man is dead and unlike some,I have enough class not to mock the illness of which contributed to the mans death.

buster Mathis and any of the drug addicted underachieving heavyweights of the 1980's>>>>>>>>Tony Galento and the vast majority of the no hopers Louis was picking off.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    Of course, in the 80s guys like Tony Tubbs and Trevor Berbick routinely made the top-10. Even in the Golden Age of the 70s Heavys a tub of goo like Buster Mathis made the top-10.

Poet
                    the 80's were pretty bad as well. The 70's had a solid list however. In particular though, could I have a list of the top 10 during Louis reign (doesn't matter at which point)?. Tony Galento always stood out to me because I don't even think he could cut it in todays division, he was that bad. It's not a knock against Louis, who handled him pretty easily (aside from the flash kd).

Comment

the 80's were pretty bad as well. The 70's had a solid list however. In particular though, could I have a list of the top 10 during Louis reign (doesn't matter at which point)?. Tony Galento always stood out to me because I don't even think he could cut it in todays division, he was that bad. It's not a knock against Louis, who handled him pretty easily (aside from the flash kd).
                      Here's the list of the heavyweight rankings by The Ring magazine for the 1930s and the 1940s:

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Th...yweight--1930s

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Th...yweight--1940s

Comment

Working...
                      X