Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fight parallel: Calzighe versus Lacy Cotto versus Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooooooohhh! That's horrible, just seeing Cotto and Calzaghie's names in the same sentence lol! My favourite fighter (today) and least favourite period! U couldn't get more different in terms of careers or minerals! Sergio is twice the fighter Jeff was too

Comment

I should clarify that when I ask about whether Martinez is better I am asking a rhetorical question: I am trying to ask fellow posters to consider this a little more carefully. When you do you realize that Martinez has fought a lot of fluff, don't even get me started in junior! I hyped Junior when he was serious, I defended the kid until he started acting like a jerk. Point is he was **** in the last fight with Martinez and people were comparing his ability with Cotto's.

The truth is that yes Martinez is better than Lacy but not really all that much as people think. Both guys are limited, have a gimmick, don't show much knowledge in the ring and both guys have a big heart.

Atheticlly it was Martinez' foot speed, his ambush ability and with Lacy it was his physique which made him a punching menance with a left hook to rival that of Frazier! (people hyped this punch at the time....)

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
        Ooooooohhh! That's horrible, just seeing Cotto and Calzaghie's names in the same sentence lol! My favourite fighter (today) and least favourite period! U couldn't get more different in terms of careers or minerals! Sergio is twice the fighter Jeff was too
        Tell me bout it...Cotto is one of my favorites and I share your distaste for all things "Joe". But my friend there is knowledge in deconstructing how knowledgable fans build a fighter up....so that the next Michael Grant, Jeff Lacy, etc comes around people can be forced to consider more carefully who i fit to be called excellent.

Martinez was better than that group but he was really overrated never-the-less

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Tell me bout it...Cotto is one of my favorites and I share your distaste for all things "Joe". But my friend there is knowledge in deconstructing how knowledgable fans build a fighter up....so that the next Michael Grant, Jeff Lacy, etc comes around people can be forced to consider more carefully who i fit to be called excellent.

Martinez was better than that group but he was really overrated never-the-less
          Lol glad to hear it!

Martinez I agree has been over rated but he's in a different class to Lacy imo, I hear u though man. As for Michael Grant, he was an accident waiting to happen, never rated that guy!

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
            Lol glad to hear it!

Martinez I agree has been over rated but he's in a different class to Lacy imo, I hear u though man. As for Michael Grant, he was an accident waiting to happen, never rated that guy!
            Grant is my favorite of the hype gang....People, many of whom should have known better were saying how Grant was going to destroy Lewis.

Can you imagine what would have happened if lewis had ducked Grant? There ar people that still think Lewis ducked Byrd.

Comment

Grant is my favorite of the hype gang....People, many of whom should have known better were saying how Grant was going to destroy Lewis.

Can you imagine what would have happened if lewis had ducked Grant? There ar people that still think Lewis ducked Byrd.
              Man I was no Lennox fan but some people really must have had a low opinion of him lol! Out of interest (its not often MG's name pops up these days!) does Grant vs Lewis still hold the record for heaviest combined weight of fighters in a title fight?
              I highly doubt a man who fought Tyson (however past it he was), Holyfield TWICE, David Tua, Vitali Klitschko and a host of other scary dudes would duck Byrd! That said I can believe him not jumping at the fight and opting to face other guys over him, I mean Byrd while no killer was slippery and would make u miss and look silly at times, even in victory its hard to look good against Chris plus he couldn't draw flies to a **** house!
              Just thinking now, Michael Grant was on the cover of the first boxing magazine I ever bought back in 99 lol
              The real star of that era for me was gonna be President Ike Ibeabuchi, shame....

Comment

I should clarify that when I ask about whether Martinez is better I am asking a rhetorical question: I am trying to ask fellow posters to consider this a little more carefully. When you do you realize that Martinez has fought a lot of fluff, don't even get me started in junior! I hyped Junior when he was serious, I defended the kid until he started acting like a jerk. Point is he was **** in the last fight with Martinez and people were comparing his ability with Cotto's.

The truth is that yes Martinez is better than Lacy but not really all that much as people think. Both guys are limited, have a gimmick, don't show much knowledge in the ring and both guys have a big heart.

Atheticlly it was Martinez' foot speed, his ambush ability and with Lacy it was his physique which made him a punching menance with a left hook to rival that of Frazier! (people hyped this punch at the time....)
                Sergio Martinez has multiple impressive victories.

Jeff Lacy has a grand total of zero.

Martinez was a P4P caliber fighter for quite a few years.

Lacy never.

They're completely different levels.

Comment

Well Lacy was perceived as having a body builder's physique which is a type of athletic quality....However he was ponderous. He was unorthodox in his reliance on the hook...Meaning that technically when a fighter is described as "orthodox" it implies a fighter who sets up off the jab, is in a traditional stance and has an average assortment of punches.
                  He was extremely slow and extremely limited.

Comment

I was enaging in some hyperbole however the point made stands: Martinez has not fought competition on the level of his hype score, certainly not on the level that Cotto has.

This extends to the Calzigne fight. Joe was a lot more experienced, had fought better comp....I know even with his lack of comp, but still!

At the time Lacy was regarded as a strong opponent and just like with Martinez his lack of comp was glossed over.
                    Martinez level of opposition is on a completely different stratosphere to Lacy's.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Sergio Martinez has multiple impressive victories.

Jeff Lacy has a grand total of zero.

Martinez was a P4P caliber fighter for quite a few years.

Lacy never.

They're completely different levels.
                      I used the term hyperbole to describe this comment and i never said he was better...I asked if he really could be considered so much better and I stick by that because it had the intended effect of making people consider certain similarities in how bth were hyped.

I don't think Martinez has that many impressive victories I disagree with you...he drew with kermit C, he beat a beat up Pavlik who almost won after being totally exposed by Hopkins, Maklin? big deal. And again junior is ****.

So where are those impressive victories?

martinez WAS not p4p he was always a hype job. Aside from the collective voices of the guillable where do you get the temerity to claim martinez is a p4p great? Its hype.

Lacy is a great example precisely because he was also similarly hyped, called a potential rising star, etc. As a matter of fact given Lacy's strong amateur career he may be considered having more credability than Martinez!
                      Last edited by billeau2; 06-11-2014, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X