No announcement yet.

Best way to move up a weight class?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to move up a weight class?

I'm 19 and used to be able to make 56kg (123lbs) but lately I've grown out the division. I'm now 5'9 and still growing a bit it seems so it looks like I'm having to move up to lightweight (60kg). The last time i was anywhere close to 56kg was when I had the flu and was dehydrated as hell and even then I was a pound above the limit. I weigh around 127-128 pounds so I would only need to gain 4 lbs to get to the upper limit of my new division.

What is the best way to go about this? Obviously I shouldn't just eat junk food but what's the healthiest way to increase weight without sacrificing performance? My coach has started me on a small strength training regime which may add a bit of weight on considering I haven't lifted a weight in my life

LMAO you're like me, except im 22.
    i weigh around 58, i caught the flu two weeks ago now im 56..
    anyways, i think age will be the most comfortable way of moving up in weight.

but if you really want ot add some weight, with weights, i suggest doing functional/dynamic weighted exercises.
    ie. flipping tires, dragging tires, hammering tires, battle ropes etc..
    cheers ! goodluck!!

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
      LMAO you're like me, except im 22.
      i weigh around 58, i caught the flu two weeks ago now im 56..
      anyways, i think age will be the most comfortable way of moving up in weight.

but if you really want ot add some weight, with weights, i suggest doing functional/dynamic weighted exercises.
      ie. flipping tires, dragging tires, hammering tires, battle ropes etc..
      cheers ! goodluck!!
      Thanks! I mean if the featherweight class was still around in the ams I would have no problem but now I have no choice but to reach the upper brackets of lightweight. I simply can't make 56kilos anymore. But functional excercises sound like a good idea. We have a few things which kind of fit the description you gave so I'll try those out

Comment

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
        Thanks! I mean if the featherweight class was still around in the ams I would have no problem but now I have no choice but to reach the upper brackets of lightweight. I simply can't make 56kilos anymore. But functional excercises sound like a good idea. We have a few things which kind of fit the description you gave so I'll try those out
        yay! cheers! let me know how it goes for you. im starting those soon too !

EDIT:
        BY THE WAY, I'm not too sure if doing those exercises will help you gain the weight you need, but I'd say it wouldn't hurt to try. They definitely seem beneficial to me.
        Last edited by nivek535; 03-03-2015, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
          I'm 19 and used to be able to make 56kg (123lbs) but lately I've grown out the division. I'm now 5'9 and still growing a bit it seems so it looks like I'm having to move up to lightweight (60kg). The last time i was anywhere close to 56kg was when I had the flu and was dehydrated as hell and even then I was a pound above the limit. I weigh around 127-128 pounds so I would only need to gain 4 lbs to get to the upper limit of my new division.

What is the best way to go about this? Obviously I shouldn't just eat junk food but what's the healthiest way to increase weight without sacrificing performance? My coach has started me on a small strength training regime which may add a bit of weight on considering I haven't lifted a weight in my life
          If you have naturally grown, just keep doing what you are doing for strength..make sure the weight isn't just fat and above all...spar bigger guys. Getting used to your weight class is the biggest factor. Boxing is not weight lifting, the strongest boxers are rarely the heaviest or even the biggest - so focus on skills.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
            If you have naturally grown, just keep doing what you are doing for strength..make sure the weight isn't just fat and above all...spar bigger guys. Getting used to your weight class is the biggest factor. Boxing is not weight lifting, the strongest boxers are rarely the heaviest or even the biggest - so focus on skills.
            Thanks man. Yeah one of the guys I've started sparring is 62kg and I'm starting to get to grips with it.

Comment

Working...
            X