Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you give Mares any chance against Gonzales?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you give Mares any chance against Gonzales?

I rewatched that 1st round over and over, and although I acknowledge the stoppage was mainly due to Mares dropping that right hand, be it cause of the perfect feint or technical flaw cause of laziness...I still can't help but point out that he's just too damn small for his opponent.

I don't see Mares winning the rematch, unless he fights smart, does not go in trying to trade, and watches for that left hook. Mares does have the intelligence necessary to win a decision.

I will admit I was shocked to see Mares go down like that in their first fight, but thats why we love our sport!

So, does Mares stand a chance to win the rematch? Do you think he can outbox Gonzales and get his title back?
    Yes, but he'll have to fight smart and not just trade shots with his opponent.
    68.97%
    No, Mares is too small and theres nothing he can do that will bring a different outcome.
    20.69%
    No comment, as I'm not really sure.
    10.34%

No question about it. That said one has to wonder how much that vicious stoppage will f**k with his head. He got wrecked.

Comment

I think he could win, but the way he got beat down in the first round last time has me doubting him a little

Comment

He's definetely got a shot not much happened in that first fight other than the ko to say he's got no hope. He did look considerably smaller than GonZales but keep in mind Gonzales is known to have a shaky chin. He has to overcome
        The mental aspect of taking his first loss, he's shown to be a resilient and determined fighter in the past I think he pulls it off.

Comment

Mares looks like a midget in front of Gonzo too. He'll eat another lethal left

Comment

Any chance ? I mean really ... This is boxing ! of course he has a chance.. I'm not even too sure he's that big a dog walking into this fight I'd be shocked if he was paying better than 2-1 ..

Comment

Gonzalez has skills, it's his lack of confidence that got the best of him against PDL. In this case he's going against a fighter he already stopped, so truth be told Mares is in for a much tougher fight than he had going in the first time.

Comment

I give him a chance simply because Jhonny's chin has been checked several times before, he's also a very inconsistent fighter that can lose on any given night.

Comment

Mares needs to talk to Gerry Penalosa, and get his advise. If he fights smartly I think He beats Gonzales via UD.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
                    I give him a chance simply because Jhonny's chin has been checked several times before, he's also a very inconsistent fighter that can lose on any given night.
                    True, but Johnny is naturally bigger.

I wonder if Mares even has enough power to make Johnny respect him? Johnny is coming in with all the confidence in the wold and will look to take Abner's head off!

Mares has boxing skills, I just don't know why he seems to have his mind set on being a brawler...the kid does have the skills to outbox Johnny.

Comment

Working...
                    X