No announcement yet.

Francesco Damiani

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
    Damiani was offered to fight George Foreman in 1990, and Holyfield in 1991 when Tyson pulled out of his megafight with the real deal, Damiani blew both paydays, I never seen him fight but he was perceived as a threat or at least would give Mike Tyson a good fight.
    Why didn't he fight Foreman and Holyfield?

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      Why didn't he fight Foreman and Holyfield?
      He got injured before the Holyfield fight. I know nothing about the Foreman fight. This is the first time I hear about it. Maybe Foreman didn't want to fight him? Foreman also ducked Schulz for a rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
        He got injured before the Holyfield fight. I know nothing about the Foreman fight. This is the first time I hear about it. Maybe Foreman didn't want to fight him? Foreman also ducked Schulz for a rematch.
        I vividly recall reading it on newspapers but I think I still had this Ring Magazine issue which says, following Damaini's TKO loss to Ray Mercer quoting "Damaini could have made a name for himself last year had he signed up to fight George Foreman." of course Big George was also known to ducked opponents who were considered a threat to his comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
          I vividly recall reading it on newspapers but I think I still had this Ring Magazine issue which says, following Damaini's TKO loss to Ray Mercer quoting "Damaini could have made a name for himself last year had he signed up to fight George Foreman." of course Big George was also known to ducked opponents who were considered a threat to his comeback.
          The comeback-Foreman is easily one of the most overated fighters in history. All he has to show of accomplishments is that lucky ko of Michael Moorer. He got several rotten decisions. Can't believe he got the one over Alex Stewart!

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
            The comeback-Foreman is easily one of the most overated fighters in history. All he has to show of accomplishments is that lucky ko of Michael Moorer. He got several rotten decisions. Can't believe he got the one over Alex Stewart!

True, but he was also screwed in the Shannon Briggs fight.

Comment

Foreman vs Damiani was set for September 28 1990 . Foreman was peaking in his comeback and only 40 it was to be the second Tyson Foremandouble header and a possible Tyson vs Foreman fight afterward . Foreman grew enraged when HBO refused to sanction it as a WBO title fight..Don King the promoter did not want Foreman owning any belt since Tyson was beltless and feared Foreman would use the the WBO as a negotiation ploy .So Foreman said screw Tyson and King and offered the winner of Douglas vs Holyfield.

Comment

Foreman would of destroyed Damiani on September 28 1990 he leaned over opponent s was sucker for Foreman s uppercut and was not a rugged guy Foreman knew once he see s his own blood fighting in the US most his fights where in Italy he would quit .HBO and King refused to make it a WBO title fight and made Foreman fight it a non title fight because was promoting it as a second Tyson Foreman double header and Tyson was beltless..And Foreman was promised a shot at Tyson after Damiani but did not want Foreman to own any belts because his negotiation power for money would be so much more .They fought fought a previous double header Tyson beat Tillman and Foreman beat Addison Rodriguez which was the winner s where to fight but King again backed out .Foreman was peaking in his comeback had no wear and tear only 40 and becoming a money machine.Foreman said no belt no fight scre King and went for the Douglas vs Holyfield winner.

Comment

Originally posted by strongman415 View Post
                  Foreman vs Damiani was set for September 28 1990
                  In an interview to an Italian newspaper in 2017, Damiani declared that a Foreman fight was never discussed, there had been no contacts whatsoever between the managements.

Damiani was scheduled to fight Evander Holyfield in 1991, but got injured a few days prior to the fight. Bert Cooper replaced him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post

In an interview to an Italian newspaper in 2017, Damiani declared that a Foreman fight was never discussed, there had been no contacts whatsoever between the managements.

Damiani was scheduled to fight Evander Holyfield in 1991, but got injured a few days prior to the fight. Bert Cooper replaced him.
                    - - Ah, the myth of damiani resurfacing like the Loch Ness Monster.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Ah, the myth of damiani resurfacing like the Loch Ness Monster.
                      Haha, yes - heaven knows why some people rate him so much. Basically, he fought hasbeens and no-hopers, and got knocked out by the two decent fighters he met, namely Mercer and McCall.

Comment

Working...
                      X