Maidana vs Porter - WHOYUGAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maidana vs Porter - WHOYUGAT?

Pre-Cruiserweight Maidana vs Porter @ 147

Who you got? This would be a brutal, ugly scrap since Porter has shown he can take bombs and power forward just like Maidana can too.
    Maidana UD
    10.34%
    Maidana TKO / KO
    24.14%
    Porter UD
    20.69%
    Porter TKO / KO
    44.83%
    Dr's hair so tight somebody better get a mop
    0.00%

Porter. As sloppy as Shawn is, I've always felt Maidana was a real mess in terms of technique. Let's not forget the spanking Alexander gave him, that he went life and death with SotoKaras. He legitimately beat Broner, who Porter beat more easily. Maidana troubled Mayweather initially by mobbing him, then got shut out for the rest of the fight and in nearly the whole 2nd fight. But, people remember the first 3 of the 24 rounds.
    I do think it would be competitive, but Porter is just a step better at everything.

Comment

Maidana every time Porter steps up he looses.
      Got a gift against Diaz, lost against Brook and Thurman.

Comment

It would be an tough rugged fight that resembles a bar brawl more than a boxing match.

I think Maidana wins it. I just can't see Porter sticking with any kind of game plan like Alexander did. Porter is no Floyd or even Khan either.

Both guys are easy to hit, but Maidana hits a lot harder.

Comment

Chino for life!

Comment

Maidana breaks his spirit and stops him in 9

Comment

before he ballooned up, maidana.

today, maidana will never make 147 again. he would probably be at 160. or 159 or whatever stupid catchweight. if he ever fights again

Comment

Maidana is retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  Porter. As sloppy as Shawn is, I've always felt Maidana was a real mess in terms of technique. Let's not forget the spanking Alexander gave him, that he went life and death with SotoKaras. He legitimately beat Broner, who Porter beat more easily. Maidana troubled Mayweather initially by mobbing him, then got shut out for the rest of the fight and in nearly the whole 2nd fight. But, people remember the first 3 of the 24 rounds.
                  I do think it would be competitive, but Porter is just a step better at everything.
                  I think you're thinking too heavily about Maidana before he went under Garcia's tutelage. He was mugged by Alexander but he definitely improved after, he actually learned how to set up his big shots.

With regards to Broner, his stock and confidence was riding high when he met Maidana, still undefeated and the flavour of the month. Broner was knocked down twice, and close to being stopped at one point.

After that Broner was definitely more gunshy and you can tell his confidence has been hit ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    Maidana a mess but Porter not in terms of technique? Eh?!

Not at all. Maybe earlier on in his career you could have compared them and they both use their natural awkwardness to their advantage. Maidana's current overall boxing technique is actually significantly better though. He punches straighter, has much better balance, has a better, more varied jab, sets up his shots better, feints way better than Porter (this is a big one that Maidana is actually very underrated for) and his footwork is a little cleaner, educated (as in it sets him up better) and not quite as cross footed and squared up as much, which also ties in with the balance issue. He also has more power and arguably the better defense, as his defense sets up his offense and is used to transition, whereas Porter is either doing one or the other. He's wide open and easy to hit when attacking, but has good defense when only doing defense, but they don't rely on each other.

I would also say he counters better too.

Porter is faster, stronger and more physical, and while it's very possible he might win a fight between them, he's not 'better' at everything in terms of boxing technique. Porter is like a weird mix of Hatton and Mosley, but sloppier.

Porter is clearly the better general athlete, but his boxing technique, in terms of pure technique isn't as good as Maidana. Maidana relies on his technique, set up with a jab, and good feints to work. Porter relies on pure physicality, muscle and speed to achieve the same thing.

You bring up a few fights over a much longer career to gauge things that don't actually equate to making a fighter better or not.

For instance, although Porter won more rounds against Broner, Maidana beat him up much, much worse and did a lot more damage. I would rather have been Broner against Porter every day of the week and the scores were much the same in the end so I wouldn't agree there I think. Maybe the better way of putting it is Porter beat him easier on rounds scored, but Maidana beat him a lot better overall. I think it was a better version of Broner too.

The Alexander fight was an obvious low point of Maidana's career and his worst loss, but he just didnt look there. Porter has already had his share struggles and poor fights too and he's still got a long way to go. Anyway, we'll see how he goes.
                    Last edited by BennyST; 06-27-2016, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X