No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arreola Crushes Molina in One, Scott Returns To Win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Arreola Crushes Molina in One, Scott Returns To Win

American Bank Center, Corpus Christi, Texas - Chris Arreola (35-2, 30 KOs) demolished Eric Molina (18-2, 14 KOs) in the first round of a heavyweight brawl. Arreola's crushing right sent Molina down and out. Arreola, the WBC's number one contender, is now in line to fight champion Vitali Klitschko in a rematch.

[Click Here To Read More]

damn it seems like arreola got some bad treatment from don king, dude straight up cursed his ass out on live tv

Comment

Originally posted by TX_BOXNG View Post
      damn it seems like arreola got some bad treatment from don king, dude straight up cursed his ass out on live tv
      I wish could of seen this fight.. I wonder what the don king thing was about

Comment

Originally posted by jdubb863 View Post
        I wish could of seen this fight.. I wonder what the don king thing was about
        Don King's comments about fruit-picking "wet backs":

CORPUS CHRISTI — Editor's note: This story contains language that will be offensive to many readers

Leave it to legendary and flamboyant boxing promoter Don King to add another piece to his ever-growing, one-of-a-kind controversial persona.

While championing the virtues of one of his boxers, Raymondville heavyweight Eric Molina, King, 80, dropped a racial slur used to refer to Mexican-Americans, drawing gasps from those in attendance at Thursday's news conference hyping Saturday's "Triple Threat" boxing card at the American Bank Center.

After setting up the comment with a 15-minute dissertation ranging from quoting Queen Elizabeth and Cicero, trumping the virtues of Corpus Christi, the United States, sprinkling in some Texas history, King predicted the 18-1 Molina, the self-described underdog, would knock out the 34-2 Chris Arreola, who has twice fought for world titles. King then made reference to the fight between Molina of the Rio Grande Valley and Arreola of Riverside, Calif., and a son of Mexican immigrants, by using the slur.

"So the eyes and ears of the world will be on you. So let us bear witness to the greatness of this great state of Texas. I know (Stephen F.) Austin now is smiling and Sam Houston is turning over up in heaven, heroic that we are back," King said. "We're all excited. We've got the war dogs with the war paint. Thank you, Showtime.

"We even brought in a Mexican-American to give him a chance to get out and be at the front of the forefront. No more wet backs running up and down picking the fruits and things. Now, we're rolling, you know what I mean," King said, drawing more than a few gasps from the assembled media and supporters of the Sweet Science. "That's what makes this country so great, you know what I mean? Yesterday's nobody is tomorrow's somebody. So I'm very thrilled and I'm humbly honored to be in Corpus Christi. Texas, hear my cry. V-I-C-T-O-R-Y. Victory is ours."

Arreola, who expressed the requisite amount of respect toward Molina, heard King's cry but wasn't in a celebratory mood.

"I do take offense on that wet backs thing because both of my parents are wet backs and I'm proud of being a wet backs myself. I am honored to be Mexican, 100 percent," said Arreola, who is scheduled to meet Molina in a 10-rounder. "So if you don't take offense by him saying wet backs, I sure do. And this wet backs right here, it's going to be a great, great honor to shut your mouth Saturday night. When we get to this arena we're going to put on a great show for these people."

King later tried to clarify the remark, saying, "Chris you may have gotten the wrong intent . . . because we're all wet backs, baby."

That bit of rhetoric was part of nearly 90 minutes, mainly of King banter as he shifted from fire-and-brimstone preacher and part historian to orator and an emitter of endless clichés. Above all, he is a fervent promoter of boxing.

Donned in his sparkling Mt. Rushmore denim jacket and waving miniature Texas, American and Mexican flags, King vociferously boosted the prospects of his two fighters on the card, Molina and IBF world light heavyweight champion Tavoris "Thunder" Cloud.

"Don is like no other person you will ever have come to your town. He'll light some fires and create some energy, fast," said Fort Worth promoter Lester Bedford, the fight's on-site coordinator. "I believe the fight fans there are in for a huge treat with a terrific fight card, but with Don coming, it only gets spicier. Maybe we should change the name of the event to 'Quadruple Threat.'"

It started with his praise of Molina, likening his charge up the heavyweight ranks to Texas' struggle for independence.

"The glory that's going to come to Corpus Christi on Saturday night is going to be super sensational. It will be resounding around the world. But it will all come from echoing a voice that was of yesteryear that established us being here today," King said. "'I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier, who never forgets what is due to his honor and that of his country, victory or death.' That was Col. Travis who was standing at the Alamo.

"He did that in 1836, February the 24th. So it's a crowning achievement to come home in the month of February, one week before Col. William B. Travis said the words that set Texas into birth, nine days of birth. Bowie, Crockett, Travis, all of them there fighting in the Alamo against insurmountable odds and difficulties. And they said victory or death."

That may seem to be a drastic comparison, likening the Molina-Arreola bout to the fledgling republic's battle in San Antonio 175 years ago, but for King it is all about the show.

Comment

Can anyone PM me a link to this event?

Thanks

Comment

Another useless fight for Chris. And I see he is putting on the pounds once again.

Comment

arreola is in line for a big fight. worked his way back in the mix by winning 7 in a row. molina was the worst guy he fought.

Comment

I got my boy Chris's back on this one, I am also proud to be 100% Mexicano and my parents are alos *******s, **** the ***** he is a murderer.

Comment

i'm interested to see how malik scott does over the next few years. he is only 31 & hasn't fought in years until last night. he is undefeated but needs a few fights to shake the rust off.

Comment

Good for Chris, but this division needs an injection soon.

He's in line for another world title fight now without a really good win on his record at any point, it's just a poor, poor division.

Comment

Working...
                    X