No announcement yet.

Was Ali-Liston fixed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Ali-Liston fixed?

I've heard so manu conspiracy theories about how the mob rigged it so they could bet on Ali a 7-1 underdog and also how Liston was coming to the end of his career so they cashed him out. Do you think the first or second fight was fixed?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...igged-mob.html

Floyd Patterson is on record saying an inside guy from Listons camp had hinted the fix was in why would Patterson lie?

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
      Floyd Patterson is on record saying an inside guy from Listons camp had hinted the fix was in why would Patterson lie?
      Bitter about Ali beating him maybe?

Comment

Second fight yes, first fight no.

Comment

I don't think we will ever know. Ali showed he had the goods....Just wondering how patterson "hinted" did he wink his eye? nudge nudge? point quickly? Floyd usually was known for being a straight shooter and not mincing words, did he mince words? did he use a metaphor, a simile like "Ali will beat sonny as sure as father time will put grey hair on yo head cause I am in the know."

Comment

My question is who fixed it and why would they fix it for Ali?

Ali didn't have mafia ties so who exactly fixed this fight?

Comment

The first fight was definitely legit. Sonny bought into the unbeatable hype and badly underrated Clay. He got beat up.

You can make a legit case for either side for the rematch. One of boxing's great mysteries.

Comment

I have no comment on the rematch fight.

Comment

I find it interesting how the mob is tied to boxing. I was just rereading Angelo Dundee's book and he hints at his brother Chris ties. In ray Leonard s book after Angelo was punched by Pepe Correa Leonard feared that Angelo would send his Maffia pals after Pepe.

Comment

The fht was straight up other than the odds and very few thought that Clay could go the distance. Lots of inside people thought he's go atleast 7 or 8 because he sparred with Liston in the Miami gym a year or two prior and Liston had a hard time reaching him.
                    If you watch the first fight Liston ewas struggling with Clays speed and distance. Sonny was barely 6'1" and Clay used Everlast leather bottom boots that gave him almost an added 1/2" so at 6'4" and his 80+ reach Sonny was
                    a full step behind. He got battered and then they slipped liniment in Clays eyes to give Liston a chance to catch him. Dundee got his eyes cleared and oncve Clay was ok he pounded the hell out of Liston and lumped him up and made him quit on the stool. No fix! The bookies took a little beating but remember there wasn't alot of money on Clay to begin with.

The second fight was different, no way Liston thought he could win and I think the "controlling interests" wanted Liston to dump but they forgot that Sonny wasn't exactly an accomplished actor! I do believe the right hand over
                    his jab dropped him but there wasn't enough there to keep him down and hurt.
                    Could be the so-called Mob (whatever that is) or might be the Muslims (who ever they are) that collaberated with friends of Listons.
                    I doubt the then Ali had anything to do with the outcome other than train to win.

Ali's performance in the first Liston bout was a great performance that no one was expecting, especially Sonny Liston!

Ray

Comment

Working...
                    X