No announcement yet.

who were you rooting for in the ali/frazier fight of the century

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    How long did you have to wait to see it on television? Was it always rebroadcast on wide world off sports with Howard Cosell?

When I browse YouTube it seems that all of the major fights were rebroadcast on ABC's wide world of sports.
    A lot were. Some were live though and HBO got into live boxing for the Thrilla in Manila.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      It was awhile before I saw the entire fight. Definitely not the following Saturday. But when I did see the fight, it was on ABC.

Being a boxing fan was a lot tougher back then.
      Originally posted by SlickRickman View Post
      It wasn't shown for another three years. It was shown on ABC just days before the rematch with Ali and Frazier providing commentary, which obviously led to the infamous studio scuffle.
      You guys are right ABC Wide World of Sports replayed it with Frazier and Ali with Cosell. I had it mixed up with another fight when I mentioned replay.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        A lot were. Some were live though and HBO got into live boxing for the Thrilla in Manila.
        Thanks. I find a lot of them on YouTube and the commentary is always interesting.

Comment

Im a Frazier guy. Ali though must have been something else, I mean can u imagine that guy today with all the 24/7 shows, internet and media!?

Comment

Yeah, not to mention Twitter.

Comment

I'm old enough to remember this fight and I'm old enough to remember that the images were fuzzy, that we had to pay for a cinema ticket and that we were all ALi fans, mum, dad, big brother and two sisters. He was the man, England, nay, the entire UK loves him. Witty, talented and ever so handsome, I wanted to be him. I guess all boys my age did.

...And then the left hook struck and Ali fell. There was stunned silence. I think we all knew Ali was losing the fight but the KD drove the point home. I remember having tears in my eyes as Ali got back up, no longer the glorious visage of immortality. Frazier had reduced him to a mere human, a fallen hero. Frazier hurt him, humiliated him, goaded him in the ring. He did to Ali what no man had ever done before and never would again.

Comment

my parents hadn't even met yet.

Comment

I used to not like Ali at all when I was younger too,but now I can understand why
                  he was so popular.He really had an incredible personality and he could fight too.
                  Watch some old videos of him on talk shows,he was way more entertaining than
                  all of the hosts,super cool guy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                    Cool. I listened the round by round on radio. I remember it was a Monday night and because it was on closed circuit here, round by round description was all we could get til it was rebroadcast the next week.
                    monday night?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                      monday night?
                      For many years big fights always took place on Monday nights.

Comment

Working...
                      X